. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You could try a shellac based sealer like Rustins Sanding Sealer. At least it dries quickly.
    Last edited by cropwell; 01-07-2016 at 06:46 PM.

ok lots of suggestions thanks.

just to give a bit of context, I want to get a really good finish on this like this. its machines from mdf, due to the complex nature sanding is not welcome

so with this stuff, put it first? then spray what ever colour over the top?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-pol-Barc...AAAOSwBLlU1gcf

this suggests lots of sanding

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rustins-SA...IAAOSw3YNXbkca

The reasonably fine "engraved" features will tend to fill up with anything that might help cover rough surfaces.
    The example you asked about has no fine surface detail, most likely for this reason.

You could cut the part leaving material for a fine finish path with a ball nose cutter on the detail and seal it with cyanoacrylate before the finishing cut,

- Nick
    Last edited by magicniner; 01-07-2016 at 08:21 PM.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

4. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

If it was me I would spray the finish, dulux undercoat with dulux liquid gloss for the top coat. Thin them both down enough that they pass well through your spray system but also coat the job well, light sand in between coats and the job should turn out very nice.

With any paint job, the finish is a result of the prep, so on this, only you can decide what level of prep your willing to go to.

Edit/tip: Warm the paint up in the tin first as it makes it much easier to apply and with good spray gear you may not need any thinning.

.Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 01-07-2016 at 09:00 PM.
    .Me

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

the engraving was a bit of a one off, but point taken

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    The reasonably fine "engraved" features will tend to fill up with anything that might help cover rough surfaces.
    The example you asked about has no fine surface detail, most likely for this reason.

You could cut the part leaving material for a fine finish path with a ball nose cutter on the detail and seal it with cyanoacrylate before the finishing cut,

- Nick

not sure dulux would cut it, especially watered down. ive got some mdf primer from wickes and its ok but not great

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    If it was me I would spray the finish, dulux undercoat with dulux liquid gloss for the top coat. Thin them both down enough that they pass well through your spray system but also coat the job well, light sand in between coats and the job should turn out very nice.

With any paint job, the finish is a result of the prep, so on this, only you can decide what level of prep your willing to go to.

Edit/tip: Warm the paint up in the tin first as it makes it much easier to apply and with good spray gear you may not need any thinning.

.Me

The type of finish you are after is attainable but only with considerable time and money. Normal household paints or automotive rattle cans just do not cut it. Only one way I have found to get a decent finish on MDF.

Sand well with fine grit sanding wheel.
    Apply MDF sealer,
    Sand lightly again.
    Use a 2 pack Hi-build primer.
    Light sand with 600 grit paper.
    2 or 3 coats of 2 pack finish colour,
    2 or more coats of clear coat.

If you want to go this route you will need a good quality air fed spray gun, a spray booth and good PPE because the 2 pack is nasty stuff if you inhale it.

Commercial furniture spray paints are available that can do the job much easier but are expensive and you have to buy at least 100 litres at a time.

Good luck
    Last edited by alboy; 01-07-2016 at 10:23 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to alboy For This Useful Post:

Im not after perfect juaf after a good finish

Thanks for all thd advice

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    not sure dulux would cut it, especially watered down. ive got some mdf primer from wickes and its ok but not great
    I am, o it's oil based by the way, good luck.

.Me
    .Me

Lives in Reigate, Albania. Last Activity: 24-04-2018 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 34. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    If you're planning to paint it and not have any wood grain visible, maybe don't use wood. Is there another material that suits your requirements better?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information