. .

Thread: Dead VFD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    After about 10min of running a file the cnc today there was a emergency triggered and everything ground to a halt. I reset everything however after stating it back up i found that the spindle now does not work. It is a Huanyang vfd for a 2.2kw spindle There is still power going to the keep pad and i can see it switching via mach 3 but nothing is spinning.

Is it likely the vfd has just died on its own or more likely something has caused it?

I never found out exactly what was causing my previous problem

(http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/9940-...to-a-job/page3)

however i started transferring the file on to the computer and it didn't do it again in the last 3 times i used it.

Could they be linked?

Im in a bid of a hurry to get it back running so looking for some advice on what i should do and if I'm going to need to be ordering a new vfd should i go for the same one or something else?

ok we did some testing and mysteriously it has started going again which is almost more annoying as i have no idea why it stopped in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    ok we did some testing and mysteriously it has started going again which is almost more annoying as i have no idea why it stopped in the first place!
    Charlie if this is mission critlcal then buy spare VFD/Spindle setup. For the Sake of £200 it's not worth not having spare if making money from machine.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    As Jazz says, if it's critical, get a spare.

Plenty alternative options can be found at https://inverterdrive.com/group/AC-I...=Power%7c2.2kW
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

yes i think i may order a spare tomorrow anyway any other recommendations other than the china one or just get the same type of eBay and if so what should i be paying on average for one of the china ones now?

many thanks

Did it start working with no changes or after you removed & re-applied power?
    Some VFDs require errors to be cancelled or the power to be cycled before they'll run after an error.
    It's good to have a spare but remember to follow the procedure for capacitor conditioning if it gets left on the shelf for a long time before use,

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

I had turned it of once and it didn't re start then had it off for a little longer and that's when it did, im wondering about over heating but it seams unlikely as it wasn't running for long and it was all feeling quite cool. Im just about to switch it all back on and give it another go this morning

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    It's good to have a spare but remember to follow the procedure for capacitor conditioning if it gets left on the shelf for a long time before use,

- Nick
    As I understand it, conditioning an electrolytic means charge and slow discharge for a number of cycles. Sometimes difficult when the component is in circuit. I tried to find out the recommended parameters, but there has been little or nothing posted on t'Interweb.

Nick, Can you give us some pointers to the procedure for in-circuit ?

Ta,

Rob

For capacitors made in the past 20 years you do not need to condition them after a period of not using them. For an explanation as to why have a look here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumin...rage_or_disuse
    In most cases it is impractical to do this process on equipment without a major dismantle, which may cause additional damage.
    Graeme

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Graeme For This Useful Post:

so i used the machine today for about a hour and its worked perfect, the spindle was fine and did not do anything out of the ordinary! so the mystery is still out there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information