. .
    Lives in Essex, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10-08-2020 Has been a member for 7-8 years. Has a total post count of 23.
    I hope this is the right subforum. I purchased two tool bits from amana tool a couple of months ago and only just got round to putting the tool data into vectric. I'm just looking for some advice and a sign off on whether I input the tool settings into vectric okay.

Below are the tool data and the screenshot of the input fields I used.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amanatool_taperedballnose.png 
Views:	1102 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	19161Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amanatool_taperedballnose_details.png 
Views:	1154 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	19162

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    Below are the tool data and the screenshot of the input fields I used.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Name:	amanatool_taperedballnose.png 
Views:	1102 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	19161Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amanatool_taperedballnose_details.png 
Views:	1154 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	19162
    Well you don't say what machine or what you want to cut but some of the setting are wrong ie your pass depth you have set to 1.5" the data sheet says 0.25" roughing.
    The feed rate and plunge rate you have set to 80mm/sec that is 4.8mtr a minute without knowing what your machine is capable of it seems very high especially the plunge rate is miles too high.
    Last edited by Clive S; 09-09-2016 at 06:23 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Lives in Essex, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10-08-2020 Has been a member for 7-8 years. Has a total post count of 23.
    Thanks Clive for the fast reply. Yes, I made the mistake of taking the max depth of cut 1.5 as the pass depth, so as I am using this for finishing so I will use 0.012. Thank you for highlighting that for me, I'm new to all of this. My machine is a Gerber system 48. I'm still fine tuning the speeds on my machine, I will be working on it this weekend. That's why I thought I would look tool bits I bought with vectric this evening.

Now I understand I was getting ahead of myself. At first, I was looking to use the above tool on some insulation foam and then onto solid woods. Thank you for the input below is a link to the machine running.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Toby I think you may have a few problems with the machine it sounds like resonance I don't know if you have rack & pinion or what.. What rapid speeds do you get out of it? It seems to be running very slow in the vid. I would not try and cut anything until you have it sorted.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Lives in Derbyshire  UK, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 295. Received thanks 28 times, giving thanks to others 13 times.
    Go back to Amana Tools and get the profile DXF use that to select the profile of the cutter you want to use and it sets it up in the toolbase as a tapered tool enter the settings and save.

PM me if you need further help with the tools DXF I might be able to let you have a copy, by the way as Clive say's somethings not quite right with the machine don't go cutting anything yet till it's sorted.

Phill

8. The Following User Says Thank You to phill05 For This Useful Post:

Hi,

There is no need to go back to amana tools for the shape. The angle is correct for cutting length. I checked it. its very easy in fact. In Aspire introduce B of tool as cut depth and change angle to bigger, its not possible, cause geometry is not correct, etc...

Here are the correct ways to fill the tool / + the ~correct feeds and speeds at 18k rpm, adjust accordingly knowing the chiploads if you like different rpm/

rough cut:

Name:	Amana1  roughing.PNG 
Views:	1224 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	19163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amana1.PNG 
Views:	509 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	19164

finishing cut:

Name:	Amana1 finishing .PNG 
Views:	936 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	19165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amana2.PNG 
Views:	412 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	19166

I suggest you follow what i say and save them as 2 different tools with same % for clearance and finishing as above at picture, otherwise you will make mistake sooner or later. If you save them properly as per Aspire says with different percentage, then you have to change cut depth at each operation:

when changing this way pass depth or anything in tool parameters , you change only that particular toolpath, tool will not change in database if you call it for a new toolpath for example...

Name:	aaspire.PNG 
Views:	416 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	19167

Hope that helps!
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

Thank you for all the help above.

Thanks Boyan for doing the workings out I will definitely be saving them both and follow your instruction.

Clive, it most certainly feels like I'm conducting a mechanical orchestra when I start running the machine. I've taken it back to its original configuration as the previous owner had his stepper motors clinging to the outside. But I still can't find where the resonance is coming from slower speeds seem to make it worse.

It has a 5tpi screw and the x & y are on belts.

Thread Information