. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I do a lot of carving in irregular shaped wood, typically well seasoned tree; cherry, pine, holly, and so on.
    Holding that piece is a big challenge. It occurred that a vacuum table would be a good solution. Masking off areas of the table with cling film to increase the 'grip' on the job. My initial design is an array of 3mm holes on a 10x10mm grid cut into perspex (just thinking that a 15x15 grid might be better!). Perspex in 2 halves, holes in top, airways in below.

Any thoughts on what would be a suitable hole size, and how close the holes need to be.

I'd put up a dxf of the job if Lee could permit dxf file types (please).
    Templecorran
    Where the Light was kept during the Dark Ages

Hey Corran, i think cncdudez built somthing like what your suggesting, just gonna check his site now...

Yep found it: Vacuum Table Vacuum Breakout Box

I know its probably not "just what" you was looking for but i think cncdudez will be along shortly to help you and advise.

Ill get those dxf file types permited now for you.
    .Me

Thanks Lee, that design is much better than what I had conceived. Though I would make one more shallow, that 38mm vac port makes it very tall. Using their vac break out box, should be down at the 20mm height!

John
    Templecorran

Apart from the obvious choice of using a vacuum cleaner for the motor, what other suggestions can we come up with?

Vacuum cleaner motors have some basic failures when it comes to vac tables: continuous or long time use can cause the motor to burst into smoke because the motor needs airflow to keep cool. A good vac table won't have much airflow.

I was looking at breaking up a vacuum cleaner to get the impeller and also maybe putting a fan on the other endof the shaft for cooling.

I have a spare tumble dryer motor that needs the bearings replaced, I thinks it might be a good choice.

The biggest factor is NOISE. I need a quiet system. Already I have to shut everything down at 9pm to avoid complaints from the neighbours.

As for the spindle: the B&Q 1020W router is too noisy as it is!! :(
    I've studied Jeremy's excellent thread on the DC brushless motor DIY spindle and think it'd be a good solution for my too noisy environment.

:feedback:

John
    Last edited by templecorran; 27-07-2009 at 03:18 PM.
    Templecorran

Location unknown. Last Activity: 12-07-2012 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 8.
    Hi Corran,
    I don't know if you need a spindle over 1000w but I bought a Millwaukee die grinder it's 500w but built like a tank and reasonably quiet plus variable speed. I can't help on the vacuum front though.
    zim.

Thanks for the heads up.
    I had a look at those, the one I fancy is discontinued. The short nosed one with the 43mm ring mount.
    However, they appear to feature a 6mm collet, which will not do me at all. All my bits are either 1/4" or 1/8", and I have a right few!!

I'll stick with my B&Q 1020W £25 wonder for now.... until I can reproduce what Jeremy did with DC brushless motors and so on.

John
    Templecorran

7. John,

I am using a Kress 1050 and it is very quiet compared to alot of other motors and does the job very well. Only needing to find a way of controling spindle speed from Mach instead of guessing via the thumb wheel on top.

Michael.

I think I may have found a solution to the whole spindle debate. Ebay are featuring water cooled BDCM with speed controller with prices anywhere between $250 and $700, shipped from China or Hong Kong.
    Apparently the water cooling is achievable using a large bucket and a fish tank circulating pump.
    They claim that the VFM can be controlled from Mach3 using the S feature in g-code.
    So now all I need is for the numbers to come up on Wednesday or Saturday and I can get one in before the VAT increase!!!
    Templecorran

Dunno if this is anygood to you fella but worth a try, i think they do plans but im not 100% sure as they have just redone thir website http://www.phlatboyz.com/Phlatformer_p_10.html

D-Man, I find your avatar offensive. You might think it funny, but wives looking over shoulders get offended and get all sorts of wrong ideas!
    Not Happy!
    Templecorran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information