. .
    Lives in Ipswich, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15-06-2017 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 2.
    Hi Chaps,

I'm a luthier looking to start using CNC in my shop for routing and carving hardwoods such as mahogany, ash, maple etc. I've spent months researching a DIY machine on this forum and others and benefitted greatly from the advice here from you guys.

While I'm interested in doing a DIY build and have even mostly designed one I came across these guys and am interested to know if anyone here has any experience with the brand or model in particular and weather of not you think it is fit for my purpose.

http://www.cnc1.eu/en/KompasH1000GS_en.htm

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by GJDK View Post
    Hi Chaps,

While I'm interested in doing a DIY build and have even mostly designed one I came across these guys and am interested to know if anyone here has any experience with the brand or model in particular and weather of not you think it is fit for my purpose.

http://www.cnc1.eu/en/KompasH1000GS_en.htm

Thanks in advance
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Do you want to use the machine as a hobby or to earn some money. This is from the link you provided :- Perfect for drilling holes or cutting circuit board traces
    Carving Machinable Wax, Wood, or Plastics! and Designed for the manufacture of PCB's and Model Making....
    Also the spindle is not big enough at 800W neither is the ER11 collet.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

It looks a bit on the small side - with 80mm Z travel you might struggle to carve necks. As Clive said the spindle is too lightweight for serious work and ER11only goes up to 7mm shank (I think).

Cheers,

Rob

That machine is too expensive considering the simple construction and components used.
    Don't be taken in by the wording like "Precision" and "Solid welded construction".

The lack of machining on the Weak welded construction contradicts the word precision. The fact it uses round linear rails doesn't help the cause either.
    The design is poor in several key areas, esp the Z axis. Look closer deeper at the machine and you'll see many things that are less then ideal.

The Electronic spec is vague to say the least and the drives they show look very much like cheap chinese analog drives which should be avoided like the plague.

If DIY building then you could build much better for same money.

Lives in Ipswich, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15-06-2017 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 2.
    Thanks all of your replies, a wealth of knowledge as always! Definitely confirmed some of my initial thoughts as well. I will be proceeding down the DIY route. I did, however, forget to mention that they offer an upgraded spindle for ~£100 which would be more in line with the work I had in mind.

Thanks again.

Of course expect to pay double the price for a better one. Even if you DIY it the parts themselves are ~3000euro if you are clever, if not even much more
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Thread Information