. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I only plan on cutting wood and maybe some plastics.

I have already read that thread from start to finish which is why my original plan was to make one of those brushless spindles, thats why i made my motor mounts to suit 52mm dia spindle body. However making a spindle now is out of the question as I no longer have access to a workshop. I really do miss the working on the tools sometimes!

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    are the air cooled ones really much worse than the water cooled? because i'm under the impression that the water cooled system requires a separate water tank and pump? which would just put the price up further.
    The air cooled are very noisy not necessary worse. The water cooled only require a very small fish tank pump £3 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Quie...uYAAOSwR5dXREE~
    and a 2 ltr Tupperware container for the water.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by thomashomer1986 View Post
    I only plan on cutting wood and maybe some plastics.

I have already read that thread from start to finish which is why my original plan was to make one of those brushless spindles, thats why i made my motor mounts to suit 52mm dia spindle body. However making a spindle now is out of the question as I no longer have access to a workshop. I really do miss the working on the tools sometimes!
    I have this one just hanging around gathering dust.....

Neil...

Build log...here

How much would you be willing to sell it for Neil? Because something like that would be perfect for my machine and I still have the option upgrade to a water cooled spindle later on when I have more money.

What are the sizes/specs?

How much would you be willing to sell it for Neil? Because something like that would be perfect for my machine and I still have the option upgrade to a water cooled spindle later on when I have more money.

What are the sizes/specs?
    Good question on both counts....the motor specs are in the spindle thread I think, 1.7kW @ 60A max springs to mind and a max speed of approx 6500 rpm @ 24v....pm me with an offer and I'll have a think if what I want for it...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Thanks Neil I'll have a look through the thread then and let you know.

Is 6500rpm fast enough though? I thought much faster spindle speeds were needed for wood carving?

Thanks for the offer Neil but i think i'm going to go with the water cooled spindle. I think the 0.8kw spindle would be fine for my machine but as the 1.5kw is only about £5 more through the same supplier on ebay i might just go for that one.

Thanks again for everyones help, i will more than likely be posting soon with questions on how to wire it up lol.

Thanks for the offer Neil but i think i'm going to go with the water cooled spindle. I think the 0.8kw spindle would be fine for my machine but as the 1.5kw is only about £5 more through the same supplier on ebay i might just go for that one.

Thanks again for everyones help, i will more than likely be posting soon with questions on how to wire it up lol.
    No problems, the water cooled spindle is by far and away the best bet!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Hello all, another basic question here from myself!

I've managed to 'acquire' a spindle. very similar to this for nothing:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC12-48V-Air-Cooled-0-4KW-Spindle-Motor-400W-ER11-for-Engraving-Milling-Machine-/252413006441hash=item3ac4fcd269:g:a6EAAOSwEgVWTYBS

Now i know these are very underpowered and probably pretty useless for most work, but i currently don't have a spindle at all and my machine is just sitting there making nothing at the moment and i really want to start making chips! even if they are only small ones lol.

i'm only going to be cutting wood so i don't mind using a small spindle just for now until i can upgrade.

my question is though what kind of speed controller do i need?
    That spindle is just a simple DC motor, so almost any PWM controller can be used. If you want to control it from the CNC software then you need something similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-48V-...AAAOxypthRtpaL

But if you just want manual speed control then you can also get a much simpler and cheaper one, like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-DC...gAAOSwOVpXcqnO

On the other hand... I have a similar spindle and have speed control as well, but I almost always run the motor at full speed. The motor is pretty weak and by reducing the speed it gets even weaker. So, it depends what you want to do with your CNC, perhaps speed control is not necessary at all.

or do i need an inverter/vfd? if it is the latter am i just better off buying a new spindle/vfd together like this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5KW-AIR-...YAAOSwAPlXhcvh

apologies for sounding dumb, but i'm rubbish with electronics lol.
    A VFD controlled brushless "real" spindle is of course much better than a DC motor, but probably not going to make life easier for you, unless you really need it. Maybe you could start with the simple DC motor and buy a VFD and a three phase motor at a later stage when you know what you really need or want or can afford. I bought a similar, 1.5kW air cooled spindle motor but I bought a better VFD, a Bosch Rexroth, because I wanted good service, support and documentation, as well as proper electrical design and safety. Buying a real brand makes it a bit more expensive though not a lot more, but the benefits are in my opinion many, so the extra cost is money well spent. I have not yet had time to install my spindle, still have the DC motor on the CNC, but have run it for test and all I can say is that for my needs and my environment it was the right decision to buy an air cooled spindle.

Many people say that brushless air cooled spindles are noisy, and maybe they are noisier than water cooled ones, but definitely not noisier at the same speed as the DC motors, or brushed motors like the Kress. Air cooled motors are easier to handle as well, since you don't need to install water pipes, cooling fluid, pump and pump control. Never the less, of course, if you are going to use your CNC 8-10 hours a day 5-6 days a week then water cooled is worth the trouble, but again, even if you buy air cooled to start with, upgrading to water cooled once you realize you need it is pretty simple.

i have the leadshine mx3660 breakout/driver board so if possible it would be nice to be able to switch the spindle on and control the speed through that. im using linuxcnc.

thanks in advance
    Sorry, I can't help you with LinuxCNC or the mx3660.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    even if you buy air cooled to start with, upgrading to water cooled once you realize you need it is pretty simple.
    What is the point in buying an air cooled THEN upgrading to water cooled when they can be had for the same price
    air cooled
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/18192...ype=pla&crdt=0

water cooled
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/18175...ype=pla&crdt=0

For the water cooled you will need a small pump £3 from eBay and a 2lr Tupperware container for the water. No contest.

Be aware that both of the above only have ER11 collets
    Last edited by Clive S; 01-08-2016 at 02:52 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information