. .
    Hi All!

I have a customer that is getting a recurring fault on his stepper drive where the motor terminals are burning out. There are 2 identical drives and motors on the machine but only one drive has this problem. I haven't had chance to put a meter on the motor but just wondered if this is a common fault. The have replaced the drive 3 times now.

Best regards,

John.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stepper drive.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	19674  

Well, you can take the "Pass" sticker off that drive...

Slightly more seriously, that's definitely just the output pins for one coil that are burnt, which suggests a wiring or motor fault downstream of this point. Seems very unlikely to be due to the driver itself. Intermittent short circuit? Pinched insulation somewhere that causes a momentary short when the machine is in certain positions?

Thanks Neale,
    The customer hasn't reported any other fault with the drive (apart from the fact that they have to change the drive every 6 months!) I'll see if I can get any more info from him. It's a 6 hour round trip to site just to stick the meter on but I'll see if I can get their maintenance guy to take some initial measurements and check the cabling.

Thats what you get with cheap shity drives that don't have protection built in.!! This will 99% be motor fault either due to wiring or phase trouble.

Considering it's such long trip IMO it would be cheaper to change out motor/Drive and wiring. While at it fit good quality drives that will protect them selfs.
    Personanlly I couldn't sleep at night worrying next time it might not stop at burning the connector and start on burning the building.!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Thread Information