1. #1
    Dear All,
    I'm going to make CNC machine prototype - I need it to be closed frame because that will be easier in the control design because I'm going to use servo motors instead of stepper motors
    So I need closed frame design that i can build and apply the control I will design on it
    Any help is welcome, I mainly need small mechanical closed frame design

    Thanks everybody

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by ammaratef45 View Post
    Dear All,
    I'm going to make CNC machine prototype - I need it to be closed frame because that will be easier in the control design because I'm going to use servo motors instead of stepper motors
    So I need closed frame design that i can build and apply the control I will design on it
    Any help is welcome, I mainly need small mechanical closed frame design

    Thanks everybody
    What do you mean by closed frame ? Is it like a commercial machining centre with an enclosure

    Also steppers are very capable - do you need servos?
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    What do you mean by closed frame ? Is it like a commercial machining centre with an enclosure

    Also steppers are very capable - do you need servos?
    I need servo cause i want to test control theories - it is graduation project
    I need design ready and tried cause my major is not mechanical engineering and i need this task (mechanical body) to be easy
    And finally closed frame word is not my own description
    I got it from book >> this is the chapter described that part https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1El2XHLhbSCU1hYX1hTbUZfeVE

    Any clarification will be helpful
    I really thank you for your reply

  5. #4
    OK. So a 'closed frame' is a 'fixed gantry' and an 'open frame' is like a conventional milling machine.

    Good example of a 'closed frame' here, first picture in post#1
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/9616-...d-that-be-Zeus

    But there are not many fixed gantry machines on this forum, most are another type with a moving gantry to cut bigger pieces. But have a look through the build logs:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/253-DIY-Router-Build-Logs
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    OK. So a 'closed frame' is a 'fixed gantry' and an 'open frame' is like a conventional milling machine.

    Good example of a 'closed frame' here, first picture in post#1
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/9616-...d-that-be-Zeus

    But there are not many fixed gantry machines on this forum, most are another type with a moving gantry to cut bigger pieces. But have a look through the build logs:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/253-DIY-Router-Build-Logs
    Sorry I'm confused here, But i think the gantry is moving in the picture provided in the link! isn't it?

  8. #6
    Hi,

    The gantry is the large fixed frame connected to the bed, in the shape of an arch. It does not move.
    The X axis carriage moves the Z spindle plate left to right on this fixed gantry.
    The Z axis spindle plate moves the spindle up and down
    On the bed the Y axis plate moves the workpiece left to right.
    Hope that helps.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	open_closed.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	18939

    Here is diesel's [closed frame / fixed gantry] machine:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/8510-...t=fixed+gantry

    Here is Wals' [open frame / mill style] machine:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7001-...t=fixed+gantry
    (If you are going for max performance then use profile linear rails (Hiwin etc.) not supported rail.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    The way i see it your best bet is to make a simple fixed gantry machine from aluminium extrusions like the one at the picture bellow

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0322.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	18940


    And maybe make it more miniature and enclose it like that:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nomad CNC mill-1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	18941


    So at the end you finish with a benchtop CNC.


    My advice is thought to use at least round supported rails /SBR, TBR..20 size/ , even better, Hiwin 20 / much more expensive and better/ and 0.8kw water cooled spindle. Use also 3nm nema 23 motors and Am 822 drives, PSU for motors non regulated at 70VDC



    I mean when you will be spending money make a real machine that will later have some value. Otherwise go ultra cheap all in one board with drives, 24v motors, PC ATC power supply , nema 17 motors. A micro CNC, similar to 3d printers. The middle way between what i am suggesting, is to spend your money for nothing.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Hi,

    The gantry is the large fixed frame connected to the bed, in the shape of an arch. It does not move.
    The X axis carriage moves the Z spindle plate left to right on this fixed gantry.
    The Z axis spindle plate moves the spindle up and down
    On the bed the Y axis plate moves the workpiece left to right.
    Hope that helps.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	open_closed.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	18939

    Here is diesel's [closed frame / fixed gantry] machine:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/8510-...t=fixed+gantry

    Here is Wals' [open frame / mill style] machine:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7001-...t=fixed+gantry
    (If you are going for max performance then use profile linear rails (Hiwin etc.) not supported rail.
    That is awesome clarification .. Thanks very much

  13. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    The way i see it your best bet is to make a simple fixed gantry machine from aluminium extrusions like the one at the picture bellow

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0322.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	18940


    And maybe make it more miniature and enclose it like that:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nomad CNC mill-1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	18941


    So at the end you finish with a benchtop CNC.


    My advice is thought to use at least round supported rails /SBR, TBR..20 size/ , even better, Hiwin 20 / much more expensive and better/ and 0.8kw water cooled spindle. Use also 3nm nema 23 motors and Am 822 drives, PSU for motors non regulated at 70VDC



    I mean when you will be spending money make a real machine that will later have some value. Otherwise go ultra cheap all in one board with drives, 24v motors, PC ATC power supply , nema 17 motors. A micro CNC, similar to 3d printers. The middle way between what i am suggesting, is to spend your money for nothing.
    Thank you very much .. can I find CAD file for design like you posted?

  14. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ammaratef45 View Post
    Thank you very much .. can I find CAD file for design like you posted?
    GRABCAD is an excellent place to search for something.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	large.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	18950
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Well here goes... Aluminium frame router design
    By CharlieRam in forum Gantry/Router Machines & Building
    Replies: 165
    Last Post: 24-08-2016, 07:48 PM
  2. CNC Frame Design Help
    By zhenning in forum Gantry/Router Machines & Building
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26-12-2015, 04:44 PM
  3. BUILD LOG: Steel frame cnc router design/build
    By CraftyGeek in forum DIY Router Build Logs
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 06-05-2015, 09:00 PM
  4. Basic Frame Design
    By Ross77 in forum Machine Frames & Beds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2015, 12:33 AM
  5. Alu 40x40 frame - strength/design question
    By Rogue in forum Gantry/Router Machines & Building
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2011, 04:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •