. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi folks!

I have been working on a low budget CNC machine design on and off for a couple of years now. This has resulted in my 3.rd design iteration, by which I consider the design done.
    It's a low budget machine, so don't expect high speeds, precision and metal capabilities. I have routed stuff requiring <1mm precision without any problems though.
    I managed to keep the complete build below 200$ here in Denmark, and I guess it could be done cheaper elsewhere since prices are in the high end here. The price includes everything: nuts, bolts, wood, stepper motors, electronics, dremel tool (a cheaper copy of a dremel that is) etc...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc2.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	18969
    I have made a BOM, some description, packed all necessary drawing files and taken a lot of detail photos of the machine. It is all available for free on my webpage: http://www.nengineering.dk/cnc-machi...ow-budget-cnc/
    The work is released under a CC license, which you can see on the webpage as well.

I really hope the design will be of use to some of you!

Best regards,
    Mogens

I have made an instructable for this machine: https://www.instructables.com/id/Low-Budget-CNC/
    I have also made a complete 3D model in Fusion 360 so that people can take a closer look at the design. The 3D model is found in the instructable

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Hi Nic and welcome to the forum. Personally I think you have made a nice job of this it is a credit to you.

You have been realistic with what you have said about it in that the accuracy is around 1mm and for 200$ it is affordable for any body just wanting to play without spending say £2000 to get a decent machine.

It is something which you could build and throw away if you wanted without breaking the bank
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

There is one big problem in building a cheap, "throw-away", machine. It gives you the taste for something just a little bit bigger. Just a little bit stronger. Just a little bit faster. Then you end up building a machine that is quite capable of destroying itself along with any body parts carelessly left in its path...

It's fun, though

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    There is one big problem in building a cheap, "throw-away", machine. It gives you the taste for something just a little bit bigger. Just a little bit stronger. Just a little bit faster. Then you end up building a machine that is quite capable of destroying itself along with any body parts carelessly left in its path...

It's fun, though
    Yes the best bit is the O'shite button but still a full build.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thread Information