. .

Thread: Emco PC120 Turn

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Also, The tool max length I can use is around 68mm long. Any longer and it catches on the Z axis coverplate. The manual indicates that 12mm tools are max size and on centre. Thing is, they are all too long. Is it common to cut them shorter? Even boring bars are typically too long and as they cannot protrude out the back, need to be shortened?

I also need to work out the CW and CCW. For normal turning, the lathe spins 'backwards' as the turret feeds from the top but for drilling you need to spin different direction. How / where would you set this?
    Last edited by Chaz; 02-08-2016 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Is it common to cut them shorter?
    Yes, just lop off the spare, the manufacturer would originally have sold you some (very expensive) tools made for the machine but whatever works is good,

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    ATC works. Got an idea how to do offsets but not sure how you 'centre' a drill.
    DTI, jog buttons, then use the tool setup page to set the measured X dimension to zero and update the tool offsets.
    The spindle is being given controls via RS485. It doesnt work on power up. Enable the plugin for the VFD, it works but trips (kicks out reset on software). Then disable the VFD plugin, it works without a problem. That said, it spins the wrong way initially then the correct way. The speed inputs also dont seem to work well. Might need to reset this setup and start again.

Any thoughts?
    Modbus is the most consistent way to set spindle speed, however it sounds like there may be a bug or two in the scripting. Probably best to post over on the mach forum, as I've never used Modbus directly with Mach.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Yes, just lop off the spare, the manufacturer would originally have sold you some (very expensive) tools made for the machine but whatever works is good
    There's something un-nerving yet satisfying about taking the angle grinder with a cutting disk to new tools. I think the most expensive thing I've chopped so far is a carbide shanked boring bar. Definitely a case of measure twice cut once!

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Yes, just lop off the spare, the manufacturer would originally have sold you some (very expensive) tools made for the machine but whatever works is good,

- Nick
    Great, thanks. I posted on some youtube videos where others are running these machines and they all did the same.

I noted one guy actually runs his machine with standard right hand tools but has them upside down. The manual shows this is possible. Downside is probably not as easy to get coolant onto the cutting area, not sure of any other reason to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    DTI, jog buttons, then use the tool setup page to set the measured X dimension to zero and update the tool offsets.

Modbus is the most consistent way to set spindle speed, however it sounds like there may be a bug or two in the scripting. Probably best to post over on the mach forum, as I've never used Modbus directly with Mach.
    Thanks. Not sure I understand about how to centre the drill but I need to play around more. I understand offsets and how tools will vary. If you have a set size in the chuck (lets say 20mm rod), then you use the edge as the reference. Suppose I could do the drill the same way.

I understand too that Z is set when you face a part, so this is fairly easy. What I'm not sure about yet is when / how do you set your X to Zero (assuming master tool is in the turret)?

Also, there is wiring coming from what I believe to be a spindle pulse generator. Then another set of wires going elsewhere with a part missing in between. I assume this could be some form of 'interface'. Without accurate spindle counts I cannot thread, is this correct? Any other major drawbacks?

There's something un-nerving yet satisfying about taking the angle grinder with a cutting disk to new tools. I think the most expensive thing I've chopped so far is a carbide shanked boring bar. Definitely a case of measure twice cut once!
    Ye, I agree. Certainly ...

I noted one guy actually runs his machine with standard right hand tools but has them upside down. The manual shows this is possible. Downside is probably not as easy to get coolant onto the cutting area, not sure of any other reason to do this.
    Rear turrets usually run tools upside down, otherwise you lose time having to reverse the spindle every time you want to drill. Getting coolant into the tool is not a problem.

Rear turrets usually run tools upside down, otherwise you lose time having to reverse the spindle every time you want to drill. Getting coolant into the tool is not a problem.
    Thanks. Where / what determines the direction of spindle rotation per tool?

Thanks. Not sure I understand about how to centre the drill but I need to play around more. I understand offsets and how tools will vary. If you have a set size in the chuck (lets say 20mm rod), then you use the edge as the reference. Suppose I could do the drill the same way.

I understand too that Z is set when you face a part, so this is fairly easy. What I'm not sure about yet is when / how do you set your X to Zero (assuming master tool is in the turret)?
    You have to use a dial gauge to get the drill on centre in the X-axis movement. Stick the dial gauge to the chuck, then spin the chuck/dial gauge around the shank of the drill/holder, and jog the X axis until the drill is on centre. If the drill is at the wrong height, then there's an alignment issue with the turret.

If you have accurate homing, then you don't need a master tool. All the offsets are simply taken from the home position.
    The master tool process is only needed if you're homing the machine manually, so you can take a test cut with the master tool, then enter that value to manually set the machine position, then have all subsequent tool offsets set from the master tool.

Also, there is wiring coming from what I believe to be a spindle pulse generator. Then another set of wires going elsewhere with a part missing in between. I assume this could be some form of 'interface'. Without accurate spindle counts I cannot thread, is this correct? Any other major drawbacks?
    If the machine is running Mach3 via the parallel port, then to thread you need a single pulse. Originally there would likely of been some form of multiline sensor on the spindle, but it's of no use to the parallel port.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information