. .

Thread: Emco PC120 Turn

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    On a lathe X should always move to positive as the tool moves away from centre.
    Even on a lathe with twin turrets, the controller should be smart enough to know what direction is positive depending on what tool/turret is selected, although I think there is a bug in Mach3 when running front and rear turrets.

G0 is just a rapid move.
    G53 defines machine coordinates, but it's non-modal I.e. you have to put G53 in front of every coordinate to move to machine coordinates, other wise it will default to the active tool/offset coordinates. You would typically use a G53 for the tool change location move.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    And pick either diameter or radius mode. Don't keep switching between them, as that's when you're far more likely to make a mistake.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    On a lathe X should always move to positive as the tool moves away from centre.
    Even on a lathe with twin turrets, the controller should be smart enough to know what direction is positive depending on what tool/turret is selected, although I think there is a bug in Mach3 when running front and rear turrets.

G0 is just a rapid move.
    G53 defines machine coordinates, but it's non-modal I.e. you have to put G53 in front of every coordinate to move to machine coordinates, other wise it will default to the active tool/offset coordinates. You would typically use a G53 for the tool change location move.
    Thanks. It's working now. I reversed X.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Can anyone help with some G Code in the toolchange Macro please?

Mine doesnt move the turret out the way but needs to. Ideally Id like to move it to the Machine 0 position.

I found the original tool change macro that was used on my machine which contains these movement commands however the movement is not consistent (ie different directions depending on where it is, I'm not sure why).

Code "G01 x-10 F1300"
    Code "G0 z-10"

I tried to do G53, cant do this in MachTurn.

I then tried G28 which works however it also tries to 'home' my turret rotation axis, which is not correct.

How do I simply tell the machine 'go home on the X and Z axis (only and ignore A Axis)'?

Thanks

I've used G53 in turn, but never in a macro.

I always do the tool change position move in G-code, as it gives you more flexibility, and allows you to cut down on wasted travel.

I've used G53 in turn, but never in a macro.

I always do the tool change position move in G-code, as it gives you more flexibility, and allows you to cut down on wasted travel.
    Thanks. So you edit your G Code to 'manually' move the turret? Problem is, G53 doesnt work in Turn for me. Tells me its not supported.

How else could I tell the machine to go to (machine) home on X and Y only?

Yes.
    A typical mach tool change for me would of been-
    Code:
    G0 G53 X0 Z0
    T0101
    I say would of been, because I no longer use Mach, but I wrote enough code to know how to get it do what I wanted it to.

G53 should be valid, as it's telling Mach to use Machine Coordinates (i.e. ignore any tool/work offsets). The only thing I can think of, is do you have a good homing routine, with the axis referenced LEDs turning green after homing/referencing?
    Something tells me if the machine isn't referenced, then machine coordinates might not work.

Yes.
    A typical mach tool change for me would of been-
    Code:
    G0 G53 X0 Z0
    T0101
    I say would of been, because I no longer use Mach, but I wrote enough code to know how to get it do what I wanted it to.

G53 should be valid, as it's telling Mach to use Machine Coordinates (i.e. ignore any tool/work offsets). The only thing I can think of, is do you have a good homing routine, with the axis referenced LEDs turning green after homing/referencing?
    Something tells me if the machine isn't referenced, then machine coordinates might not work.
    I reference before I move and I ensure that Machine co Ords are green and Zero. I use this as my 'reference' and my tool offsets are based against the X Home position.

Ill take a pic tonight but Mach 3 tells me I cant G53 in Mach Turn. It might not like it in the Macro, Ill do an MDI tonight and see.

So inserting G53 X0Z0 works well but I need to copy that into the G Code.

I am using the default Fanuc post processor in Fusion 360, it would be good to be able to edit the post processing somehow. It also adds G28 commands that my Lathe doesnt like.

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Thanks. So you edit your G Code to 'manually' move the turret? Problem is, G53 doesnt work in Turn for me. Tells me its not supported.

How else could I tell the machine to go to (machine) home on X and Y only?
    I've used G53 in Turn, but i think you must specify the axis you need to move. eg. G53 G0 X0.00, and a separate line for the z axis

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information