. .

Thread: Emco PC120 Turn

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Hi,

I bought one of these last week and it was delivered yesterday. It was sold with a faulty Mach 3 PC. Long story short, managed to get it running. I had issues with the spindle, that's now running but needs some tuning.

There is no spindle encoder working, some loose wiring, will sort that at a point.

The board to control this is unknown to me. Ive got some pics, will upload it. Its a parallel port setup. If it works reliably, Ill leave it.

I need to get the tool changer running, I was trying to use M6 codes last night but was told that I need to use T101 etc.

Then its understanding how to deal with the tool offsets although with numerous help vids around, hoping that is not too tedious.

I am looking for the tool holding plates that told tools in the tool changer as well as the bushing that is use to hold boring bars / drills in place, does anyone know where I can get some of these? I could make them but easier to buy to get running.

Not a large cutting area but a nice machine and fairly well converted previously.

Thanks

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Also. Does anyone know if the chuck (manual scroll, not the pneumatic one) is reversible? I tried to use the outer clamps (reversed) and it wont screw in.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Have a read of the Mach3 turn manual, as it explains tool offsets pretty well.
    The one thing I will say, is they're far easier to handle if you have accurate homing on the X-axis (Z axis is less critical as you can just bump of the end of the stock).

With mach3 you want to be using the Txxyy format, where xx is the tool position, and yy is the tool offset to use. It's meant for turret setups where you swap tools in each position.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Have a read of the Mach3 turn manual, as it explains tool offsets pretty well.
    The one thing I will say, is they're far easier to handle if you have accurate homing on the X-axis (Z axis is less critical as you can just bump of the end of the stock).

With mach3 you want to be using the Txxyy format, where xx is the tool position, and yy is the tool offset to use. It's meant for turret setups where you swap tools in each position.
    Thanks. I did read through the manual today. So fairly confident I understand although Ill play a bit later and see. I dont have many 12mm tools that are suitable but just 2 will prove the principle.

The machine has proximity sensors, so I think reasonable accurate (hoping).

So T101 is tool 1 using offset 1? Is the offset captured in the tool table?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I always used 4 digits T0101 for clarity, but yes that will command the turret to position 1, and load tool offsets 1 from the tool table. It's the same as using T01, but I always preferred the 4 digit version for consistency.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I always used 4 digits T0101 for clarity, but yes that will command the turret to position 1, and load tool offsets 1 from the tool table. It's the same as using T01, but I always preferred the 4 digit version for consistency.
    Great, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Also. Does anyone know if the chuck (manual scroll, not the pneumatic one) is reversible? I tried to use the outer clamps (reversed) and it wont screw in.
    Not absolutely sure without seeing it but usually a 3-jaw (or 4-jaw, although they are much less common) self-centring chuck needs separate inside and outside jaws; 4-jaw independent chucks let you reverse the jaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Not absolutely sure without seeing it but usually a 3-jaw (or 4-jaw, although they are much less common) self-centring chuck needs separate inside and outside jaws; 4-jaw independent chucks let you reverse the jaws.
    Thanks. On other lathes / chucks Ive had, Ive always been able to reverse them. Odd, if it has a 'backwards grip' Id think it likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Thanks.Odd, if it has a 'backwards grip' Id think it likely.
    The smaller diameter range non-reversible jaw set on self centring chucks still have steps on the outside for gripping the inside of cylindrical work, it's more common on smaller chucks that just one reversible set is supplied.

A quick and easy way to check is that the teeth which engage the scroll will have symmetrical inner and outer faces if the jaws are reversible,

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    The smaller diameter range non-reversible jaw set on self centring chucks still have steps on the outside for gripping the inside of cylindrical work, it's more common on smaller chucks that just one reversible set is supplied.

A quick and easy way to check is that the teeth which engage the scroll will have symmetrical inner and outer faces if the jaws are reversible,

- Nick
    Thanks. I dont think this one is reversible. Pity, I need around 100mm and only have 85 or so.

ATC works. Got an idea how to do offsets but not sure how you 'centre' a drill.

The spindle is being given controls via RS485. It doesnt work on power up. Enable the plugin for the VFD, it works but trips (kicks out reset on software). Then disable the VFD plugin, it works without a problem. That said, it spins the wrong way initially then the correct way. The speed inputs also dont seem to work well. Might need to reset this setup and start again.

Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information