. .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hi,

just noticed you have a board that links between the BOB and the 0-10V line on the VFD. Is this correct?

From the photo you have used, I think that your BOB is actually able to regulate the 0-10V on its own without an additional input. Worth reading the manual on that to double check.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    Hi,

just noticed you have a board that links between the BOB and the 0-10V line on the VFD. Is this correct?

From the photo you have used, I think that your BOB is actually able to regulate the 0-10V on its own without an additional input. Worth reading the manual on that to double check.
    The BOB I have which is the KK01 from cnc4you does not allow connection to the VFD to control the spindle. I asked cnc4you and there is some legal or safety issue.
    So that the previous drawings are all wrong.
    Looking through posts from m_c, RouterCNC and Jazzcnc I have gotten certain ideas and now I have purchased the correct BOB from cnc4you I can control the VFD via the BOB.
    Thanks for taking the time to view my build thread.
    Life is best lived @ G0......

Just to be clear, opinions expressed below are not definitive or instructions to others, but are how I've built my own control cabinet.

Firstly, forget any idea that a fuse or MCB protects the thing that they feed. Any electronic engineer will tell you that a transistor is the fastest fuse known to man. If a driver's protection circuitry fails to protect against overload, it's probable that a fuse or MCB will still be scratching its head by the time that the driver has let out the magic smoke. What the MCB does do is protect against the effect on, usually, the wiring which is now carrying fault currents and where there is now a risk of fire. I have used a single 10A d-curve MCB to feed the whole cabinet; my hope is that this will protect the wiring against a major fault in any component. VFD is outside the cabinet, separately fused, by the way.

Power comes into the cabinet, then via MCB to two-pole isolating switch. Power then goes to auxiliary power supplies (5/12/24V for various things). I use a CSMIO motion controller which is powered at this point, together with "power on" panel LED. I use a Pilz safety relay (picked up cheap from eBay). A momentary push button turns on the safety relay which latches on. One set of contacts feeds the e-stop input on the motion controller, configured so that this enables the MC. A second contact feeds a 24V relay to provide mains to the linear PSU for the drivers, plus second panel LED. A third contact is used to enable the drivers. E-stop wiring connects to the safety relay; all switches wired in series and any switch will cause the relay to drop out so sending e-stop to motion controller, disabling drivers, and cutting mains power to drivers. That seems to cover most of the safety bases, at this kind of level. At the moment, the driver fault outputs are wired in parallel to the appropriate motion controller input so, for example, driver stall detect should stop motion. Limit switches do not trigger e-stop.

Using multiple contacts on the safety relay means reduced relay count (just one, for switching the linear power supply to keep mains off the safety relay contacts), while not relying on motion controller firmware alone for safety functions.

I haven't bothered talking about things like VFD connections to the motion controller, or coolant pump switching, as these are subject to individual designs, and I'm sorry that I don't have a wiring diagram as I've never drawn one... Don't know if there are any thoughts in there that might help - happy to discuss further if need be, or defend myself against other points of view!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

@Neale,

That's a great deal of information and something I am going to have to digest.
    I am not an electrical engineer at all, my background is mechanical engineering.
    But with an enquiring mind and some help from people on here I hope to be able to build a decent control panel.
    My biggest concern it that if wired wrong then it could "KILL" me or at the very least cause some damage.
    I can follow wiring diagrams etc and work through things (Other hobby is OO gauge model railway).
    So I was hoping that someone maybe would be able to help out with a schematic or something to point in the right direction, so I do not make the good lady a widow!

I've bought some stuff from Chalon online, but I get things like relays, panel switches and LEDs, from Electric Center. They have the great advantage of having a branch near me, but there are lots of branches across the country. I'm sure that there are equivalents trading under other names - that one happens to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by nairepooc View Post
    That's a great deal of information and something I am going to have to digest.
    I am not an electrical engineer at all, my background is mechanical engineering.
    But with an enquiring mind and some help from people on here I hope to be able to build a decent control panel.
    My biggest concern it that if wired wrong then it could "KILL" me or at the very least cause some damage.
    I can follow wiring diagrams etc and work through things (Other hobby is OO gauge model railway).
    So I was hoping that someone maybe would be able to help out with a schematic or something to point in the right direction, so I do not make the good lady a widow!
    I've been thinking about that, and I'm not sure how to help further (apart from sitting together over a glass of something invigorating with the back of a big envelope and a pencil). The trouble is that everyone uses a slightly different set of components. For example, you are using a UC300, I'm using a CSMIO-IP/M. Functionally very similar but not quite the same, and with different wiring connections. My safety relay will be very similar to but again different from (and maybe in critical areas) yours. Maybe just posting a diagram of what you propose to do and let people comment, as you are doing, is the best way forwards. If it helps, the take-away points from my earlier post are that you might not need lots of MCBs, just one correctly rated (and with appropriate cabinet wiring), and that the safety relay might do the job of several single relays as it has multiple contact sets and that could simplify things.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I've bought some stuff from Chalon online, but I get things like relays, panel switches and LEDs, from Electric Center. They have the great advantage of having a branch near me, but there are lots of branches across the country. I'm sure that there are equivalents trading under other names - that one happens to suit.

I have accounts with RS components, Rapid and Chalon.
    Those are the major players who I have used to purchase the items through plus a few from FleeBay (of course).
    Where abouts are you located or would a PM be better to discuss the possibilities of a little meeting with a large note pad and something warming to drink?

I'm based in South Devon, which from your profile is a bit far (unless you fancy a break by the sea!). However, not sure if your interests lie in that direction but I shall be at the Bristol model engineering exhibition next week for all three days and I would be very happy to meet there. Otherwise, happy to communicate by email or whatever - send a pm if that suits.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I'm based in South Devon, which from your profile is a bit far (unless you fancy a break by the sea!). However, not sure if your interests lie in that direction but I shall be at the Bristol model engineering exhibition next week for all three days and I would be very happy to meet there. Otherwise, happy to communicate by email or whatever - send a pm if that suits.
    Well South Devon sounds nice, but as I am already booked away for the next couple of weeks will have to give it a miss Neale!
    So it looks like long distance emails;
    Many of the bits have arrived now so it looks good.

Well I have spent the last week reviewing many members builds on here and I have to say I have a lot more knowledge than when I started this build.
    The cabinet builds of @EddyCurrent, @RouterCNC, @m_c and the various comments made by @JazzCNC along with the main person responding to my thread @Neale.
    I am away for a few weeks R&R so plan to create my schematics during this time.
    Viso will be my software of choice so once I have something that people and comment/advise me on then it will be posted.
    Once again reading others post has given me great information and thank you for sharing your builds.

Ian

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information