. .

Thread: Harmonica Case

It is my harmonica teachers 70th birthday in April and I thought I would have a go at a harmonica case to fit a Seydel Saxony harmonica.
    The oak cost me £7.50 for an 8ft length of 3" x 1".

The first try ended up showing me that my MD machine was not cutting square, so I spent a day with a large engineers square (the large engineer wants it back !) and a dial gauge to find out where the skew was. I found it and corrected it, but it is a design weakness, so I have to be wary that it could skew again !!!!

I used most of the oak to make firewood, and when I got the first good cuts I changed the design. So none left really.

After skimming the top, cutting the cavity and outside profile for both the bottom and the top, I cut a jig in softwood and put the pieces in it with some double sided tape and skimmed the faces with my new Chinese bottom cleaner (£2.08) before cutting the recess for the brass plate.

I attacked it with sandpaper and gave it a coat of sanding sealer before bringing it up to a finish with wire wool and wax. There was a slight disaster when one of the hinge screws broke and I had to drill it out, but it taught me to lubricate the screws to make them go in more easily (ooh err missus !). Inside I lined it with strips of adhesive foam and a top layer of black self adhesive felt. I CNC cut a perspex template and used a scalpel with a new blade to cut them out. My experiments with a drag knife were a failure !

The brass plate was engraved with code generated with Vcarve, but the woodwork was drawn with AutoCAD and converted toGcode with EstlCAM V8.

There were a few fails and bodges, but otherwise I am pleased with the end result.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1522.JPG 
Views:	364 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	18053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1523.JPG 
Views:	318 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	18054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1524.JPG 
Views:	338 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	18055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1526.JPG 
Views:	331 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	18056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1527.JPG 
Views:	333 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	18057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1528.JPG 
Views:	348 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	18058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1530.JPG 
Views:	320 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	18059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1532.JPG 
Views:	343 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	18060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1534.JPG 
Views:	332 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	18061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1540.JPG 
Views:	346 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	18062

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Very nice Rob. It's a credit to you. I take it you have used brass screws in the oak as steel one's can make the oak go black
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Looks good he should be well happy, shame he won't be able to play for a while, 70 candles gonna leave him short on blow!

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by lucan07 View Post
    Looks good he should be well happy, shame he won't be able to play for a while, 70 candles gonna leave him short on blow!
    I'm practising that manoeuvre but I have a plan with an airline up my sleeve.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Very nice Rob. It's a credit to you. I take it you have used brass screws in the oak as steel one's can make the oak go black
    I agonised about that for hours, then decided "sod it" (or words to that effect). The only screws I could get were steel with an antique brass finish, so I put them in a charred screw socket with plenty of wax in the socket.

Actually Clive I am surprised you didn't spot the big mistake. I'll PM you what it is

Really nice and now intrigued on the "big mistake" - the hinges not flush fit perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    intrigued on the "big mistake"
    I reckon his name is JOE
    Last edited by lucan07; 01-04-2016 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    Really nice and now intrigued on the "big mistake" - the hinges not flush fit perhaps?
    If you look carefully, you will notice that the grain pattern is different on each side of the case. If I had cut with either blank turned round 180deg, the grain patterns would have matched. Nevertheless, I am sure Toby will be happy with the case.

Rob

Thread Information