. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    yes it has dust extraction which I use.

I'm engraving so v bit would be fine. I have some v bits which I use for engraving on ally, so I could test one of them. ill reduce the speed down also

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Do you have any dust extractor? In my opinion that is VERY important.

The smallest bit I am using is a 0.5mm but it is a dual flute. Feed rate is EXTREMELY critical, run it just a tiny bit faster and it snaps. But... if you are engraving for LED signs then V-bits are better unless you need to engrave large letters or remove a lot of material, because those are more rigid. Never the less, if you run it too fast or too deep you will snap off the tip, especially the tiny 10degree 0.1mm are very sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    yes it has dust extraction which I use.

I'm engraving so v bit would be fine. I have some v bits which I use for engraving on ally, so I could test one of them. ill reduce the speed down also
    Please note that I still don't have my high speed spindle installed om my machine, and my current spindle is maxing at 9000RPM, so perhaps if you spin your V-bits fast enough you can increase feed rate as well. Anyway, 22k RPM and 300mm/min is not a good combo. With 22kRPM I would try at least 6-900mm/min using a 30degree 0.3mm V-bit. You have to watch out for corners, the machine may drop the feed rate speed but the spindle will continue spinning at 22k RPM, so melting can happen when rounding corners and then continue on the straight part or the mass of the melted plastic will snap the tip, whichever comes first.

I think it is easier to master milling and engraving at lower RPM first before speeding up things. Once you know you can do it you at low speeds you can start increasing the speeds and understand better what is going on if something goes wrong.

On a side note... I'd start with a brand new and sharp V-bit because if you use an already used one, especially if used on aluminum, then it might not be as pointy and sharp as needed for plastic. A defective or damaged cutter may cause problems (melting, bad edges, uneven surfaces and so on) or may give you good results which are not valid for a new and sharp one. I think it is best to use good tools, so buy a bunch of those and keep a stock of them. You will need more than one before you are confident enough...

Good luck. Milling and engraving acrylics is fun.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to A_Camera For This Useful Post:

how small can you get single flute cutters?
    http://www.sorotec.de/shop/Cutting-T...te--0-3mm.html

Lives in Reigate, Albania. Last Activity: 24-04-2018 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 34. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    I found that cast acrylic mills fairly well and extruded acrylic tends to melt as you describe. When I first started I had a nice batch of cast and didn't realise until i got some cheaper extruded stuff one day.

Now I save the extruded for the laser. Unfortunately it also smells worse when being laser cut.
    Last edited by Fred; 19-08-2016 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Never had one go blunt, had plenty of the feckers snap though!
    I use them on brass, bronze and 304 stainless as well as plastics ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Do you have any dust extractor? In my opinion that is VERY important.

The smallest bit I am using is a 0.5mm but it is a dual flute. Feed rate is EXTREMELY critical, run it just a tiny bit faster and it snaps. But... if you are engraving for LED signs then V-bits are better unless you need to engrave large letters or remove a lot of material, because those are more rigid. Never the less, if you run it too fast or too deep you will snap off the tip, especially the tiny 10degree 0.1mm are very sensitive.
    Hi there, I have done about 10 acrylic signs so far, I use a v bit and a 3mm end mill but I only go as high as 7000-9000 rpm and it seem to work ok.

Nick

Thanks for the advice got speeds and feeds perfect

Quote Originally Posted by naijin View Post
    Hi there, I have done about 10 acrylic signs so far, I use a v bit and a 3mm end mill but I only go as high as 7000-9000 rpm and it seem to work ok.

Nick

Yes, that's what I am using as well. Have not tried to run faster yet, but will try soon.

Thanks for the advice got speeds and feeds perfect

Looks very nice, but I find the LEDs at the bottom disturbing. The sign is though really well made.

Yes, that's what I am using as well. Have not tried to run faster yet, but will try soon.
    d

feed..rate?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information