. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    If the say the middle 4 or 5 lines show no burning and u are getting a fine dust then you are heading for the right combination.
    No fine dust is exactly what you don't want.? You want a nice Big FAT chip. If your getting Fine dust then your probably not cutting deep enough and in your case with 6mm cutter (Carbide) you would have been better at 100% DOC provided you had the spindle power.
    Also this high lights my point about Cheap low cost ie Chinese machines not being upto to cutting MDF correctly. I know you had chinese machine and that it coundn't cut at the correct feedrates for MDF with Carbide or HSS tooling.
    Carbide would require feedrates in the 5mtr/min + region with 100% + DOC. HSS would require less DOC but still would need feedrates in excess of 5mtr/min.
    Most low cost machines can't even Rapid at those speeds let alone cut.!!

In both cases Good Chip Vac would be required.

There's difference between managing to cut a material and cutting that material correctly to give best finish and tool life. In DIY arena this isn't so important but from money earning and Business point of few it's VERY important.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 08-09-2016 at 01:10 AM.

Damn why did I put dust, its because I was thinking of the fact the dust is really bad for your lungs, yes chips ..as always JAZZ glad to know you are around to correct my goof's lol
    Yeah like I said in another thread its about managing expectations with these machines. They are really hobbyist -semi pro at best, but if like me I use them to make the speaker box then cover them with nice veneer it works ok. Or like the mini rocking horse I did for a friend it did the tricky bulk work of building up the body panels but needed sanding and painting afterwards. thats where I would slot these machines in tbh
    Yep the machine I'm looking at is only 4 mtrs /min @ rapid but I'll have to find a sweet spot :)

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I see this said all the time and it really annoys me to honest. It's wrong to say any machine can cut MDF because while they can physicly cut the material that doesn't mean they do it correctly or very well.!!! . . . . I could make Sawing machine nibble away MDF but it will give shite results.

I see all the time these cheap Slow machines being advertised for cutting MDF and the truth is they can't even reach the half the feed rates needed for cutting MDF correclty.

MDF is very abrasive. Cutting with wrong feedrates wears tools out very quickly and leaves poor or burnt finish. The whole point of CNC is to give superior result in shorter time than manual methods. Having to spend hours cleaning up after machine defeats the whole point.!!
    Yes, you are right, but it also depends on the aim. If the aim is learning then almost any machine can be used, as long as the spindle can handle it. Speed may not be high and tool wear may be larger than you wish for, but the job will be done and the user will learn. But sure, some cheap machines may be far too weak for any decent job.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Crafty: I can not answer your question correctly without knowing your budget and size requirements so won't try untill you can give this info.

What I can say thru plenty of experience building machines for people who cut exactly the kind of Craft products your wanting to make is that buying low quality cheap chinese type machines is mistake that gets quickly realised.! . . . Simply put.!! If you have any desire to sell these products or make business from them you need machine that is of resonable build quality and can provide the correct feedrates required to cut the materials to acceptable standard which doesn't require lots of manual labour after the CNC as cut them.
    Also it needs to be reliable because nothing worse than chasing faults on machine and nothing worse for business than not being able to supply the product.!

Unfortunalty buying machine off the shelf with the correct requirements for relaible business don't come cheap so you'll need a healthy budget.
    Yes, definitely. If he aims at selling products it is wrong to start with a cheap and bad quality tool. But he said "I'd like to develop my knowledge and skills and learn how to cut/make MDF crafts" and for that, he may not need the very best and most expensive machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    Yep the machine I'm looking at is only 4 mtrs /min @ rapid but I'll have to find a sweet spot :)
    This highlights another point I missed.? Your sweet spot will still be bitter sweet and the machine will be working flatout just to achive mediocre work/performance. Anything that is working at or above it's limits will fail or wear away much sooner than machine correctly designed and spec'd for the Job.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Yes, you are right, but it also depends on the aim. If the aim is learning then almost any machine can be used, as long as the spindle can handle it. Speed may not be high and tool wear may be larger than you wish for, but the job will be done and the user will learn. But sure, some cheap machines may be far too weak for any decent job.
    100% agree for the purpose of learning. I've always said they are great learning tool.
    However and again in my experience with dealing with others the learning curve isn't any where near that new users expect. IME People have lot more potential for learning than they realise, Esp the Older generation.

So what happens is they Buy the Cheap but Limited learning machine only to realise in just few months or even weeks they have out grown the machine. End result is wasted time and money.
    Also this is just looking at the BEST OUTCOME scenario. Often because they have bought cheap machine it's riddled with inferior complexity's and plagued with break downs. This results in there first Cnc experience being nightmare or less than enjoyable when really it doesn't need to be.!

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Yes, definitely. If he aims at selling products it is wrong to start with a cheap and bad quality tool. But he said "I'd like to develop my knowledge and skills and learn how to cut/make MDF crafts" and for that, he may not need the very best and most expensive machine.
    I didn't Say best or expensive. I said buy machine with "Resonable Build Quality". Yes it will cost more but doesn't need to Most Expensive Machien.
    On the Craft side of things it makes no difference. There's lower limit and which point the quality suffers and the correction work increases.
    IME Cheap inferior machines CANNOT reach this lower limit and result the quality and work required for correction defeats the point of using CNC.
    And that's without getting into Excess tool and machine wear.!!

Buying for learning is great but IMO the money is better spent on decent machine and just Commit to the task with being determined to make it work. It's not rocket science or difficult to operate CNC machine.! . . . There's enough Muppets on here manage it Ok and that Includes Me. .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information