. .

Thread: Thread sealer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Hello all,

I recently bought myself a pressure tank (this one from pressurepots.co.uk) but disappointingly it's a leaker. I might send it back, but poking around on the net, I've got a feeling that these pots are consistently crap at holding pressure and I'll never have any joy... First off I'll try leaving it connected to my fully charged (but switched off) compressor, if it can maintain 4 bar for 24 hours using the remote tank then I guess I'll just live with it. If not I'll try re-sealing the threads on the connectors, maybe even up-grading the plastic regulator unit if that doesn't work...

Any good recommendations for thread sealer, particularly stuff that can work with metal/plastic as well as metal/metal connections...?

Cheers!

Wal.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Wal You could try this not cheap but it works http://www.screwfix.com/p/la-co-lac-...ails_container or bring it round and I will seal it for you.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hi Wal
    Looking @ the setup i would think thread tape would seal those fittings.
    First job is to knock up a solution of soapy water and douse it all to identify your leek. good chance it might be leaking from the joint on the cover.
    Presurise the tank shut the pressure in remove the supply hose @ the valve and make sure the valves not passing.
    Regards
    Mike
    Last edited by mekanik; 22-08-2016 at 11:52 PM.

For oil pressure systems we used to buy Jet thread sealant from our local Pipe Centre, comes in a tube and sets after using I seem to remember.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Cheers guys!

I've gone for a pot of that JET V2 stuff, hopefully it'll help...!

Wal.

Good, I look forward to all your "look what I've done" posts so looking forward to seeing what you produce with this...😀
    Neil...

Build log...here

Hehe. Hopefully not a mess... I've been having a go at the cold enamelling process and want to make as good a job of it as possible, hence the tank to squeeze out them bubbles...

Here's a test piece that looks alright from a distance - I assumed the sparkle resin to be a paste and got my mixing ratios wrong and had to hurriedly mix in black paste after the pour. Loads of flaws in the epoxy, but it's got potential..!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-08-17 14.45.59-1.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	19070

Wal.

Looks good to me Wal!! Does pressure do it? I thought you vacuum degassed to pull out bubbles in things? Where do you get your cold enamel from? I fancy having a go myself
    Neil...

Build log...here

Yep, after a bit of research I decided to go with pressure - you can de-gas your mixed epoxy prior to pouring it (and that's probably best practice) but you'll end up pouring through the bubbles that accumulate on the surface and you'll likely introduce more bubbles whilst distributing and prodding the epoxy into the harder to reach areas. I can get a pretty bubble free mix by leaving the resin/hardener standing in advance and then taking care not to 'whisk' whilst mixing - you just need to go really steady with it. By allowing the epoxy to cure under pressure, you'll hopefully squeeze down any left-over bubbles - in theory 4 BAR should give a 4x reduction in volume of a given bubble.

I bought my epoxies from Cookson Gold, you'll need:

Hardener
    Resin
    Colour pastes

You've also got the small quantity pearlescent effect colours - they come in pots the same size as the pastes, but they're resins and need to be mixed directly 2:1 with the hardener. In addition, a small set of digital scales and loads of latex gloves will help. Like most epoxies, it's nasty stuff so take care with it..!

Wal.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Wal you can buy small syringes 2mand 10m from Coronation St. Reddish http://www.lewis-plast.co.uk/diagnos...sable-syringes near you I use them when I mix very small amounts of epoxy.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information