Next week I want to experiment with a magnetic fixing plate: someone's kindly lent me one so I'm keen not to damage it at all.

Once the poles have been aligned my 3mm steel billet sticks to it like sh*t to a blanket, but my tool paths end with a part profile contour that leaves tabs. I'm not expecting anything to go wrong, but would like to stick about 2 or 3mm of aluminium between the billet and the magnetic base as a buffer/sacrificial layer while I'm experimenting.

Smacking away with a wooden mallet the whole thing still seems rock solid - but has anyone had experience of a buffer between the magnetic base and the billet?

Thanks

L

Use a sheet of thin steel and an activated cyanoacrylate to hold your work to it, when you've done use a blowlamp on the underside of the thin sheet to release it without damaging the work, any remaining adhesive can be cleaned off with acetone.
    This is how I use my mag table with jobs requiring a sacrificial layer, spacers don't work well with a holding force which is subject to an inverse square law ;-)
    If you will not be swayed by logic or experience simply pick the idea you
    like best, but ask yourself why you sought advice in the first place and,
    for a simple life, perhaps consider not doing so in future

Brilliant - will get on that! Thanks, L.

Never tried it, do you have a problem with swarf removal?

And if you dont want to use a blow lamp just leave the job in a tub of acetone over night...

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Never tried it, do you have a problem with swarf removal?
    Robin, cleanup is a breeze, you just flip the lever to "OFF", vacuum and wipe clean,
    Regards,
    Nick
    If you will not be swayed by logic or experience simply pick the idea you
    like best, but ask yourself why you sought advice in the first place and,
    for a simple life, perhaps consider not doing so in future

Robin, further to Magicniner's response to below - we do very little roughing, and it's almost very light passes of a ball nose mill at a high spindle speed: so far what swarf remains on the workpiece until we flip the lever on the holding plate isn't proving a problem. So far...!