. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    My thoughts exactly, and my humour was lost on the expert
    I thought at the time that the sarcasm was lost with the sunbed towels.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    sunbed towels.
    Ooh, now that's a bit harsh, and don't mention the ***!
    ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Ok.

Machining for machinists.

I post here to help and learn. Other guys are posting to do the same. Lets forget towels and sunbeds for a minute.

If you know nothing about a subject don't post rubbish. It's not stupid not to know. It's stupid not to say you don't know...

Helping - wiring is an electro machining process - short for wire edm. It is used to make very accurate shapes and surfaces in very hard materials where necessary. Much more accurate than milling. Usually it is the last process as the material has been pre-machined in a semi hard state, heat treated then wired to finished form. Maybe it is then spark eroded to add further features.

I work with these procesess thus I understand the original posters question. It is clear you have absolutely no idea about this subject, zero. The original poster asks some interesting questions - he is also working in this area. I have no idea what you do. For sure you know things I do not. Is it not better to learn from each other?

Thanks and in order to enjoy the sunbeds try getting up more ealy!

BF

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Billythefish For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I know exactly what wiring is, but it's not something I've ever used, so will bow to your experience regarding surface finish.

However, it's not a fast process, and isn't going to be faster than a milling machine for surfacing. And that's before you consider any other features that may be getting milled during the same setup.
    What people were getting at, is your reply where you're stating methods by making assumptions and without ever having seen the part, or the reasons for the milling.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by Billythefish View Post
    I work with these procesess thus I understand the original posters question. It is clear you have absolutely no idea about this subject, zero. The original poster asks some interesting questions - he is also working in this area. I have no idea what you do. For sure you know things I do not. Is it not better to learn from each other?

Thanks and in order to enjoy the sunbeds try getting up more ealy!

BF
    To whom are you referring with this arrogant and condisending reply.?

The OP asked question which to most, me included, wasn't clear. I know very well the what was meant by wiring as I'm sure did lots of others.
    The difference being we didn't make assumptions to what the OP was refering or trying to achieve. Instead we choose to ask for clarification rather than jump to conclusions.

The OP over the years has asked many quesions that were not clear, mainly I think due to langauge barrier. It's common place for misunderstandings to occur on forums by people jumping to conclusions. So those of us who are more experienced rather than jump to conclusions and offer pointless advice based on assumption chose the more wise approach of asking for clarification.

Ok.!! . . . . Now go set your alarm.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 03-09-2016 at 01:17 AM.

As I read it he is making irregular parts and has a hold down problem for the milling. His solution is to clamp a large plate to the machine bed, mill lots of them from one side, turn it over and mill the other side, then cut them free from the plate with wire EDM.

His problem is aligning to the plate when he turns it over. The two sides have to line up. Right now he cuts two reference edges and the top face which means he has to clean the whole machine down sparkly clean when he turns it over because the tiniest piece of crut is going to put him outside tolerance.

That is the way I would do it, but without the wire EDM. I can only plunge.

Of course I could be totally wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Billythefish View Post
    If you know nothing about a subject don't post rubbish. It's not stupid not to know. It's stupid not to say you don't know...
    We know, we just know it's stupid to assume you know and that it's also stupid to assume others don't know, just because they aren't assuming the things you are assuming.
    Professionals, when writing responses on a forum, use the correct terms for a processes at least once because they know enough to assume some readers will not know machinist slang ;-)

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

A picture paints a thousand words.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information