. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I removed my post.
    Last edited by A_Camera; 10-09-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Yes, I take on board these comments. First of all the cover was 3D printed to give a pattern for casting in bronze, which the one in the photo is. Secondly the fuse/connector block fixing screw acts as an earth point as the earth wire from the driver cable is connected to it. In fact, the earth wire connected to the driver fixing is redundant. The driver itself is two-wire and thus I presume, double insulated. Finally, the cable is a prewired one with one end stripped and crimped and a moulded on plug and switch, which I did not want to remake, but I understand your concern.
    Last edited by cropwell; 05-09-2016 at 02:22 PM.

Hi,
    We have done some testing on the unit now and it is not good. The driver gets too hot. The steady state temperature is reached after 45 minutes and is 50 deg C on the top of the casting above the driver. The baseplate is too hot to touch. Even if the unit remains electrically stable, at that temperature it would damage the furniture it is on. The two units we have tested give similar results.

Clive - your suggestion of a wall wart or separate power supply like this one http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/white-60w...ed-driver.html is looking the most sensible way forward and I will be talking to ultraleds on Monday.

Cheers

R

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    certified
    A certified UK Electrician was surprised to find an IP56 RCD socket under my kitchen sink, he said "We just fit ordinary sockets under sinks"

Certified Electricians here are not taught to think logically or apply reason or spot issues not covered specifically in their training or manuals, if you happen to find one who is particularly intelligent that's great but is is not a requirement for certification ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Certified Electricians here are not taught to think logically or apply reason or spot issues not covered specifically in their training or manuals, if you happen to find one who is particularly intelligent that's great but is is not a requirement for certification ;-)
    I think that Part P (domestic) Certification covers two topics 1. Not burning the house down and 2. Not electrocuting anybody.

Generally there is a two day course and a 20 question exam (with course books allowed).

It is about on the level of - Do No Harm and don't drag your knuckles when you walk.

R

A certified UK Electrician was surprised to find an IP56 RCD socket under my kitchen sink, he said "We just fit ordinary sockets under sinks"
    I think that modern wiring dictates that you have to have the kitchen on a separate ring with RCD (could be wrong though)
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I think that modern wiring dictates that you have to have the kitchen on a separate ring with RCD (could be wrong though)
    Yes, Clive, I am sure you are right for new build or major rewiring. When I had my kitchen refitted, I had to have a new consumer unit with RCDs. Now if a bulb goes ping, it puts the lights out for the whole of that lighting circuit. I think if you look at an RCCB in the wrong tone of voice, it flips (like Her Indoors).

Rob

I just gave my opinion, which I regret I did.
    Last edited by A_Camera; 10-09-2016 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    You do, a friend had a new kitchen and they put a new box in for it, seems electricians aren't required to know how to use a level, they even refused to go back and straighten up their shoddy work as it was "safe"
    Luckily my new kitchen didn't require a rewire.

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Just to let you see the quasi end results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encglo.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	19252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EncGlo2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	19253

We still need to pursue the external power supply idea, but these are the demo pieces for the craft fair starting tomorrow at the old Truman's Brewery, Brick Lane EC1.

Even before the exhibition starts, we have had a lot of interest in these pieces.

Cheers,

Rob

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information