. .

Thread: Evening All

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    No problem, he has already succeeded. By setting the tool clearance to 60mm his machine is already 20 times more rigid than someone who thought 200 mm might be necessary for some unlikely job in the remote future. He can chuck a sacrificial 20mm MDF sheet over the bed and get an even more sensible 40mm clearance when the penny drops. If you are not engraving there is no point having a clearance greater than your tool sticks out the chuck.

2. Thanks for the input guys, (I'm leaving the bad joke about knocking up a bird(in a)house out) but I get the point that you are getting at with the you get what you put in, I know I could hack some bits on it but I know it's not ideal.

But I've been thinking and I could put up with the extra cost if it means I get what I want/need after a good think and dig around I think the below would be my asks on it:

Needs:
    Cutting area of 1250mm x 650mm (quarter sheet 8x4)
    Z axis 60mm (unless you think I would need anything more)

Recommendations on easy to grasp designs software as currently I do the 2d vector work in adobe illustrator and open it in aspire (if that works do I need to change it, is there an easier way?)

Wants:
    Mill aluminium / Other soft metals (no idea on steel?)
    Cutting area of half 8x4 sheet (would love it but as you said it would sacrifice quality so..)
    Some sort of self homing would be nice (if only on the Z axis)

Also as I'm making space this weekend do I need a metal stand for the machine or will a well built wooden unit work ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Chimestrike View Post
    Needs:
    Cutting area of 1250mm x 650mm (quarter sheet 8x4)
    Z axis 60mm (unless you think I would need anything more)
    Perfect dimensions and you'll have much stronger machine.

Recommendations on easy to grasp designs software as currently I do the 2d vector work in adobe illustrator and open it in aspire (if that works do I need to change it, is there an easier way?)
    Nothing wrong with that setup so if your used to it stay with it.

Wants:
    Mill aluminium / Other soft metals (no idea on steel?)
    Cutting area of half 8x4 sheet (would love it but as you said it would sacrifice quality so..)
    Some sort of self homing would be nice (if only on the Z axis)
    Light duty Aluminium work will be possible but don't expect too much. Don't Even think about Steel.!!

Homing is easy and on All axis. However when you say Homing do you actually mean Homing to Fixed location using HOME Switch or are you meaning touch plate for setting the Z zero work coordinate.?
    Two completely different things but both very easy to have and for hardly any cost.

Also as I'm making space this weekend do I need a metal stand for the machine or will a well built wooden unit work ok?
    Good Strong wooden bench will work fine.

4. Yeah the homing I was referring to was the end of the bit in the spindle, but if its easy enough to add in great !!

I am in your hands then please let me know what I need to do to go from here so I can get this started (other than make some space and a bench lol

60mm Z axis?

i have worked a lot of time on 90mm Z axis machine limited to 60mm travel due to sacrificial sheet and that's the absolute minimum i would ever wish for sb. In fact i don't wish that to sb. Having just double the travel /120mm/ will be like sleeping in 5 star hotel compared to a hostal/

Why:
    -10-20mm for MDF, wood, laminate or expanded PVC sacrificial layer ,

-20mm wood or aluminum fixture when producing many repeatable parts, double sided parts, etc.

-20mm material / the typical

ok, 60mm till now.

so what we do with the typical 30mm bit extending from spindle +5mm Safe Z . sometimes even 50mm /when using 12mm or 1/2 cutter/

what about work holding - chucks, vice?

what about boxes engraving and other thicker than 20mm stuff?

what about vacuum table?

Cheap cheap, but : Mehh, i say the saving from this is no more than 200 pounds, including Z plates, Z square Hiwin, gantry or table sides.

The only reason i see to make a Z axis 60mm is to use only 2 long Hiwin blocks on Z and one block each gantry side. But who would do that? 4 blocks saving is 120 pounds approximately.

IMHO 120mm is the minimum Z travel and 160 table to gantry/Z clearance, not counting the bit protruding from spindle. I am saying anything below this is not worth spending the money, except if not for some special purpose machine, that is clear what exactly will do all day.

Also is worth noting that when we start digging deeper, having in mind the ball screw nut length, the ball screw end supports, and all Z parts like pulleys, we arrive at a precise relation between Z travel and gantry clearance, when machine properly designed.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

6. So Boyan, you mean have a longer z travel but increase the bed height so you only use what you need, then if required lower the bed for the deeper cuts?

Boyan think your missunder standing not saying 60mm clearence between gantry and bed. We are talking actual cutting depth so obviously there will be clearance for at least 60mm plus shank and to be honest I always design for Drills rather than tools because they tend to be longer.

All this will end up at around the figures you quoted.

8. That makes more sense to me now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information