I know there is a previous thread on the VMC300, but i hope you dont mind me starting a New one here.

Managed to get my hands on a Boxford VMC300 the other day, and i have to say, i`m quite pleased with it.
I like the construction of the Z coloumn, the X/Y table, the stepper motor placement, and it has even got an automatic tool changer.
It was even modified with an improved lubrication system for all 3 axis. Really nice :-).

But like any used second hand machinery, this one also have some issues. I was not able to run it manually, and i am waiting for my
RS232 port to arrive(new machines only have USB :-S ). By manipulating the different sensors, i could move all axis.
Seems like the Y axis home sensor failed(no light), so i ordered a new one hoping this will fix it.

Now, i am seriously concidering converting this VMC to Mach compatible hardware/software.
However, before initiating a serious teardown and the possibility of leaving me like a complete moron, i thought it might be a good idea to get some tips from you guys(hoping someone in here has some experience with the VMC300).

The drivers and engines might be useful for somebody, but the datasheet says a stunning 150Ncm(212.4Oz-in) holding torque on the steppers(MAE HS200 3424 0170), and the SGS Thompson GS-D500A drivers delivers 5 Amps peak at 92V.
Think i am a bit more enthustiastic on christmas eve at age 56, than looking at this data :-).
Besides, i have been looking for replacement of the RS520GR1000 spindle and driver as well. Maybe the same motor but bigger?

But my main concern is, HOW do i fit the old ATC with a new controller/breakout board?
It uses a flat ribbon cable communication with the 2 microprosessor boards through a "Fast Serial Link", according to the schematics.
Can the ATC controller be used with other controllers that you know of, or is it time to toss the old electronics away
If so, what kind of controller should i buy to make use of this ATC? (I would really hate to see the ATC go).

Any experience with this controller from Automation Technologies Inc in the US?

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/cnc-controller-box/axis-3-5-inch-cnc-controller-for-lathe-milling

Any help with this one would really be appreciated guys.
I would really like to get this on up and running with a good performance.