hi everyone out there.

i have delved into the world of electronics by means of an arduino board and a couple of stepper motors i ripped out of a printer - i am now THE expert in cnc!

HA

the reality is im embarking on my first garage cnc - nothing elaborate just 1000 x 500 maybe, constructed of steel to run a router and/or plasma cutter.

so im asking for advice or can someone point me in the right direction

what i am thinking is........

twin x axis steppers with ball screws, these will run along the shorter length
trapeziodal screw and nut on Y and Z beacause theyre much cheaper.
nema 23s all round for the sake of simplicity and affordability

now id really love to carve up some inch thick birch or something in one pass, but that will be depending on the motors so ive realised will probably require a couple of passes with the smaller motors, also i would like the benefit of power for routing and also the requirement of speed with plasma cutting.

imnot sure what software i will be using but thats a date not set in my schedule but have been looking at easel from the inventables website. largely because ive seen a setup using it.

SO any advice firstly on my grand idea ^^^^^^^^or is this just a pipe dream for the first time CNCer or any websites or posts i can reflect on.
1. what sort of torque or power will the motors need to rip half inch wood at a reasonable speed while leaving room to re-purpose as speedy motors for plasma - any suggestions please
2. id rather buy a kit form motor/driver set for the four axis like you see on ebay, but thats why they're on ebay right?
3. the lead screws or ballscrews is a definite advisory item which i am told that will lend efficiency to the motors?

i should mention my design does not allow for a traditional center placed x axis leadscrew underneath the cutting table hence the twin x axis motor concept.

any advice greatly appreciated

thanks all

andy