. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Never mind I'll work it out on my own :-)
    Last edited by superclarkey; 18-09-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Hi welcome to the forum!

Short and sweet:

A machine designed to run a plasma torch doesn't need to be anything overly sophisticated or substantial in design, providing you build the machine mechanically sound i.e all axis's run smooth, free of binding and square to each other, a simple design using somewhat "light weight" materials can be used to build a nice machine, this lends well to not needing such things as big powerful motor's.

Have a look in the build log section Plasma Table Machines, here you can see what others have built in the build log section, I'd say more importantly would be to read through some of the other non build log discussions as running a plasma can be troublesome in other ways (electrical noise etc.)

As time is against you, it maybe a better option to look at a commercial machine such as the Blue Marlin from Techserv, "I would like to build a machine" and "but I dont have the time" dont really go well together when it come's to any type of CNC machine unfortunately, so if you really do want to build your own, the minimum investment is going to require a reasonable amount of time just on the discovery of the components you'll be working with.

Spending the time you do have in a commercial machine and so the company, would come with the benefit of (I would hope) support at the end of the phone if and when you need it, as although you'll get all the help and support you need from others on the forum, a request for help here isn't guaranteed or a response time.

.Me
    .Me

I didn't say I didn't have the time to build it, but didn't want to start from scratch researching every single aspect l if people can offer help in the right direction.

I know in mechanically terms what is required and I don't know where the best place is to get the parts so was again hoping for advice.

there has to be common parts people use or software people thing is the best etc.

i wanted experienced advice, reading people's blogs where they are learning them selfs also doesn't mean it's the best way of going about things etc, how do I know who is doing it right or wrong? I don't know enough to make an educated desision right now, so means I have to learn everything so that I can form that opinion.

i was pointed to this forum and maybe I expected that I would be offered some advice, but being told to basically go do a "search" or "buy one new" wasn't what I needed to hear lol (kinda obvious :-p )

thanks anyways, i won't give up on this just looks like I'll have to do it the hard way which I was trying to avoid :-)

Quote Originally Posted by superclarkey View Post
    Never mind I'll work it out on my own :-)
    Editing your first post asking for help with this arsey response, even if you have put a smiley face after it, is not going to get you any help or win you any friends on here. We get quite a few people on here who say I'd like a machine but don't want to/can't be bothered (delete to suit) do any research, I'd like you people who have taken the time to learn (the hard way) just to tell me what to get and where....

Generally if you show a little grace and put a bit of effort in then the help comes and people who have the experience will come and help you.

Good luck with working it out on your own :-)
    Neil...

Build log...here

I put up a hello thread up and not a single person bothered to reply (nice warm welcome) and was ignored, so started this thread and told to go search or buy a new machine already built, so sorry if I gave up on this forum :-)

I asked for advice not a hug lol its a typical non helpful forum response "google it" instead of actually helping, I have already done allot of the ground work just wanted to know best places to look for stuff, lol, even purchased the hypertherm 45.

i help people each day, and give allot of my own person time to help people, i try and educate and give sound advice, that's what I joined a forum like this for, I didn't realise I had to work it all out first then ask about it hehe

anyways sorry I posted asking, the forum that sent me he was so helpful and advice was great, so I'll get my coat :-)

Sometimes a thread goes down the list of trending topics so quickly that it's not always seen. Not everyone (make that most people) looks in the new member section, I'm as guilty of that as the next person, and for some reason its only normally a few people who will actually be the first to say hello, dunno why but there you go. I'm not on here as much these days, and I know that others are the same with life and the cnc work (or play) taking up most of their time. Others come on here, build their machine and then dont come on for months or years.

I cant remember your exact wording of your post here but to me it smacked of tell me what to buy and where because I cant be bothered to do any research. That's never going to get a favourable response on here!

Your choice to stay or go, good luck with your cnc plasma machine whatever you decide to do...

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
    Neil...

Build log...here

Appreciate what your saying, I thought I showed good grace by saying bellow, what I did for a living and about me and what I was looking to do, instead of just starting a thread, I think I was just getting to the point in this thread, I.e I need help finding the parts and wanted experienced advice, not I have no idea and I can't be arsed :-) your right though I should have outlined how much I already knew and that I wasn't looking for the basics etc, just looking to start buying the bits and what to buy as many people do the whole do it cheap as possible and that's not what I was looking for, want to build a quality machine that will be the one and only I build, the fact I asked for help and didn't pretend I already knew everything I thought was a sign of respect :-)

Clarkey you won't find a better or more helpful forum anywhere in the world or on the net. Trust me I'm on most of them and this Forum is the most helpful you'll find with experienced users rather than Arm chair CNCer's.

However at times you don't always get instant response and have to wait or bump your Thread if required. But I can tell you that with the response and child like attitude you've taken all you get is told to F@~Łoff.
    Be a little more patient and respectful then you'll get pointed in the right direction or given priceless advice that will save you time and money.

Suggest you start again put the attitude away.!! (Or get on the hard route suss it your self, if can afford it.?)

Woah, not exactly the best attitude to adopt when you are asking for help. This forum has to be the most helpful around with an abundance of knowledgeable and helpful members many of whom are experienced cnc builders and electrical and mechanical engineers.

I have nothing but gratitude and respect for the help I have received, Dean has spent a lot of time providing me with help that has enabled me to go from an absolute newbie who had never touched a machine to someone who is now running and maintaining their own 8x4 cnc router in a production environment. Even upgrading the machine from a DSP to CS-Labs controller which was made so much easier (possible) with Deans assistance.

Oh and did I mention that the members of this forum share their valuable expertise and knowledge for free!!!!!

Why help people who cannot be bothered to help themselves especially when they approach you with a snot nosed 'I want everything given to me as I don't want to do any hard work myself' attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by alboy View Post
    Dean has spent a lot of time providing me with help that has enabled me to go from an absolute newbie who had never touched a machine to someone who is now running and maintaining their own 8x4 cnc router in a production environment. Even upgrading the machine from a DSP to CS-Labs controller which was made so much easier (possible) with Deans assistance.

Well thanks for the praise but I can only point you in right direction you still have to do it so pat yourself on back not me.

Quote Originally Posted by alboy View Post
    Why help people who cannot be bothered to help themselves especially when they approach you with a snot nosed 'I want everything given to me as I don't want to do any hard work myself' attitude!
    While your correct and I agree with you on this I have to say that understand where this lad is coming from. He just wants info on where to buy because thinks knows what he needs.

Where he went wrong was that WE know he doesn't know what thinks he knows but he's soon to know that knows far less than what WE know. So he'll quickly know is shity attitude learnt him that what he doesn't know but WE know and won't now tell has cost him lot of wasted money.!!

So even thou he doesn't know it we are learning him.!! . . . . . . . Shame it's not what he needs to Know for good Cnc machine. . Lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information