. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    We have a few big plasma profiling machines on our site, and I used to work for one of the big companies, and I have never seen one yet with ballscrews on anything but the Z axis. All of the machines so far have railtrack and R&P for X axis, linear rail for Y axis and linear rail and ballscrew for Z.
    Saying that we are just about to start work installing a 6KW laser with linear rail for all axis. Apparently this rather large lump of metal can hit 140 meters per minute on fast travel. For something that can profile 13mt x 3mt plates this will be interesting to see.

Thanks the info is great :-)

i want a working size of 8'x4' and the gantry needs the room to be about to jog out of the way so overhead crane can lift the plate in.

will be cutting upto 12mm plate max.

i have bought a hypertherm 45 for the cutting and will upgrade if it's not man enough.

I agree, most real commercial plasmas use helical RP. I will not insist further on ball screws,though they could be protected or dust evacuated in a downdraft table like i said. Obviously the less hassle, the better.

I don't know prices, but if he likes as he said "ready elements" he could look at Bell Everman "servo belt". Or try to construct similar belt on belt mechanism. I assume that 2 belts protect each other from dust in between, upside down and hidden.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    -dedicated THC is a must, ... Avoid cheap THC which are not dedicated/ can not control axis directly
    @Boyan - Can you explain please?
    Last edited by stirling; 20-09-2016 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    @Boyan - Can you explain please?

Hi,
    Nothing against cheaper controllers. But you should know the answer to that question better than me, having in mind you are selling THCs. What is the reason that are you asking me? There are more ways than one to skin a cat . This is just my opinion for my future plasma cutting table. As i said i have already bought the controller for myself -the Neuron.

But here is your answer:
    I am starting a new trend for myself / or am i stupid or getting wiser / :The more the *hardware way* possible and the more away from * software like windows, linux ,mach3 and plugins* possible, the better. I think i am starting to get industrial

So IMHO now is even the time to try a dedicated hardware controller like the chinese sell for around 400-500euro. I have seen videos of it working. Or the chinese don't know how to cut steel with that industrial revolution there? Of course further investigation is due. But yes, all in one for that money is a no brainer.

I am sorry guys/ EU and USA manufacturers of boards, software and so/ , but if you follow the trends, in a couple of years DIY machines would be chinese from electronics to rails. Who doesn't believe me just remember 5 years ago when nobody had ever heard of "water cooled spindle". And DIY machines had Kress or Dewalt routers . Hey right now i am running 150 euro dedicated offline controller/ from yesterday/ on my i may say almost industrial CNC, which does a better job than a couple of combinations that cost as 10 times as more
    Not to speak of the Leadshine and similar drives and motors. Where are the Geckos that we imported from USA 5-7 years ago? Its time to wake up

Anyway Sterling, nothing against you or the board you sell. I say- its even great that you could shed some light on things. I would have bought your board a year ago if i knew that i would want a Hypertherm now. Its never late to be wise. In short I want a Hypertherm and a HAAS for New Year present

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    What is the reason that are you asking me?
    Hi Boyan

Was just hoping for reasons why you say things like "dedicated THC is a MUST" and "Avoid cheap THC which are not dedicated/ can not control axis directly".

I know very well both the pros and cons of both. I also know that certain manufacturers of certain standalone THCs made certain claims on their site and on the Mach3 forum that they agreed to remove/retract after I proved such claims were false.

My slight irritation is with those that either repeat these claims or they (like here) infer them without explanation or context. It's not a BIG irritation - but an irritation none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    Hi Boyan

Was just hoping for reasons why you say things like "dedicated THC is a MUST" and "Avoid cheap THC which are not dedicated/ can not control axis directly".

I know very well both the pros and cons of both. I also know that certain manufacturers of certain standalone THCs made certain claims on their site and on the Mach3 forum that they agreed to remove/retract after I proved such claims were false.

My slight irritation is with those that either repeat these claims or they (like here) infer them without explanation or context. It's not a BIG irritation - but an irritation none the less.

I remember now what you said there and it was well said. And as you say Sb had to take back his own words. Here i did not mean exactly that what the manufacturer said. Tried to explain above, why i start to try to avoid unnecessary complications, in other words - run like hell from software and search for hardware solutions. But for the people who love Mach3- lease just ignore my ranting .

well as you put it so nicely you're forgiven.

Not so sure about the love Mach3 bit though - it's done what's been required of it for 10 years so I allow it to stay...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information