. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Clive's comments are very valid, especially as this is a somewhat random problem.

Couple of points to make, though.

There are a few parameters in the VFD that control how it drives the spindle. From memory, on my own VFD, these are something like sensorless torque control and V/F. These change the way that the VFD generates its output, and also senses how the spindle is reacting. I'm really not an expert on these and which the best choice is. What I can say is that you seem to be accelerating the spindle quite quickly. This might be OK for your spindle, but perhaps someone else can listen to the video clip and comment?

Second point is to ask if you can show the parameters that DI1/DI2 are set to. They are probably correct, but it would be good to check. You say that you have set your VFD to 2C mode, which is what I would also do. However, you appear to always enable output 4 to start the spindle, and then enable output 3 for reverse. However, in 2C (2-wire) mode, you should use output 4 for forwards, and output 3 for reverse. Never use 3 and 4 together. This might explain the problem and random starting direction in reverse - depending on whether the BOB sets 3 slightly before or slightly after 4, the VFD could start in forwards or reverse. Make sure that the DI pins are correctly set (one for F, one for R) and configure UCCNC and the UC300 to use one or the other output in conjunction with the analogue signal. Might be the source of at least one of your problems!

Thank you Neale,

The sensorless parameter in VFD is "Ctt [Motor control type] - uuC (Sensorless vector control)", in last configuration I tried to use "Ctt [Motor control type] - set to Std (Standard motor)". But will make a change and will come back with results :)

DI1 and DI2 is set to be Forward and reverse inputs, I will double check if there is anything to configure further, once I will be back from work.

Very good eye Neale on noticing output activation - fantastic :) that explains why in some case spindle rotation dir is unpredictable :). Thing is that I can't have separate pin output for FWD / REV as in UCCNC, if PWM spindle control mode is selected - only PWM control pin and DIR pin are available to set (can't choose FWD / REV pins). Maybe I should go with relay control for FWD / REV functions, in that case, two separate PIN's can be chosen.

Will tryout and will be back with results :)

Thanx ! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Also why would you want to use reverse?

Clive,

Thank You for advice reg. grounding screen cable. All my cables are with screen. I will double check if the grounding is still connected, as at this stage I have all electronics mounted on temporary plate of plastic :) .

Regarding the need for FWD /REV - I plan to use this for taping / threading in the future and would like to sort this out so no trouble later (or installation of additional relays, maybe changing BOB, or else :) )

Thank you

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Regarding the need for FWD /REV - I plan to use this for taping / threading in the future and would like to sort this out so no trouble later (or installation of additional relays, maybe changing BOB, or else :) )
    To do tapping you would need an encoder with index and A + B pulses. But the problem is the spindle will not have enough torque and at low speeds.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Bottom of p125 - set "forward priority". Connect "run" output to "rev" input and "dir" output to "for" input. Now F in UCCNC will run one way and R will run the other way. Wire the spindle so that the spindle runs the way you want. You might also need to change "active low" setting on dir pin.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    To do tapping you would need an encoder with index and A + B pulses. But the problem is the spindle will not have enough torque and at low speeds.

Thank you Clive,I will consider this in the future. It looks like in most cases I will be needing only FWD dir at the time.

Bottom of p125 - set "forward priority". Connect "run" output to "rev" input and "dir" output to "for" input. Now F in UCCNC will run one way and R will run the other way. Wire the spindle so that the spindle runs the way you want. You might also need to change "active low" setting on dir pin.
    Thank you Neale, I will do as per you recommendation and will come back with results later today :)

Gents,

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated!

All is working now as it should be (at leas t for now - until next idea or upgrade for the spindle :) ).

The problem was that I have used Output 4 as FWD (or REV output), the output from this pin cant provide stable voltage (probably due to used analog output as they are kinda combined... (HDBB2 manual). I have connected 12Vout (from output 4) to DI (as rev) and Output 3 to DI1 as FWD directions. Changed VFD settings as per Neale recommendations (FWD priority and Sensorless vector control) and all is working perfectly now :) Spindle can go down to approx 2000 rpm without stalling. Lower than 1000 is making spindle to stall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wiring.JPG 
Views:	316 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	19341

So thank You gents again and I really appreciate your time for helping me out on this issue.

TM

I must say that I don't understand how this is working! The hddb2 board has a constant 12V on the 12V output pins, not controlled by UCCNC. There should not be a problem with the output pins - they do not deliver any power, they are open-drain Mosfet outputs. In effect, an electronic switch with one side connected to ground. The manual shows that these digital output are completely independent of the analogue signals. That's why the VFD is configured to use its internal 24V supply so that you control it by switching the DI inputs to ground. I would not be happy to use this setup as it is now wired because I do not understand how it works at all!

I must say that I don't understand how this is working! The hddb2 board has a constant 12V on the 12V output pins, not controlled by UCCNC. There should not be a problem with the output pins - they do not deliver any power, they are open-drain Mosfet outputs. In effect, an electronic switch with one side connected to ground. The manual shows that these digital output are completely independent of the analogue signals. That's why the VFD is configured to use its internal 24V supply so that you control it by switching the DI inputs to ground. I would not be happy to use this setup as it is now wired because I do not understand how it works at all!
    I will make short video this afternoon to show how this is working and what problems I have if output 4 is used (instead of 12Vout). I was surprised my self - but after I just tried and it did worked :D

It is funny how small, simple thing can get so complicated.
    I have tried to demonstrate how things are working, but cant get even run the spindle in one direction - UCCNC software keeps giving message just after start that it was disconnected ....

Disconnected both DI1 and DI2 and than I can start UCCNC... once connected to DI1 for FWD function, after M3 command UCCNC just gives message that UC300 have been disconnected...

Im bit confused now...

Didn't had enough time today to look further, but will do this tomorrow... I will start with only FWD direction this time :D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information