. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TadasM View Post
    UCCNC software keeps giving message just after start that it was disconnected ....
    Hiya,

Try swapping the USB cable for another one (keep it short in length, 1m)

If you use the USB port on the left side of the laptop, change to the right side USB port.

Also, make sure "power saving mode" is turned off in your laptop bios.

.Me
    .Me

Hi again :)

So finally I got additional information, here is photos showing how spindle is connected:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spindel connections.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	339.8 KB 
ID:	19357

And here is the video showing the problem:

I have measured voltage between GND and Output 3 - it shows approx +24v when spindle is in "rdy" mode. Once I hit CW rotation in UCCNC voltage drops to 0v and as you can see in the video I receiving message that UC300 have been disconnected.
    Should the voltage be 0v at idle and +24v when spindle starts to run ?

Lee, thank you for your advice reg. USB cable. Tried with shorter one - same results. I have added ferrite rings on the both ends of USB cable - no luck either :/

Any thoughts ? :)

I think that I might have found the problem. Altivar installation manual, top of p48. "If using Sink Int do not connect 0V to ground". The manual is not consistent but I think that they use "0V" and "COM" for the same connection. Unfortunately, the HDDB2 has one side of its output connected to ground, so that this connection breaks the Altivar connection rules.

I think that the easiest and safest way to connect the two devices is to use an external relay between the BOB and the VFD. You can then use the Source mode on the VFD, which allows you to connect the analogue ground on the BOB to COM on the VFD (as far as I can see - but I have not read the whole manual!). If you use 12V relays, then you already have 12V available from the BOB. Connect relay coil between 12V and BOB output pin, and connect the relay NO contacts in place of the switches shown in VFD installation manual p48, first diagram. This is an example of the kind of relay that you could use although I do not know what is easily available in your country.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    This is an example of the kind of relay that you could use although I do not know what is easily available in your country.
    I've used these pre-built relay module boards for few home projects now with good feedback:

12V 2 Channel Low Level Relay Module OPTO-Isolated Relay Module Expansion Board,

could be a better option over building your own PCB, if you can use one for this.

.Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 28-09-2016 at 09:37 PM.
    .Me

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Quite a lot of BOBs just seem to have a simple opto-isolator output with floating connections, precisely to stop this kind of ground loop problem. The HDDB has an opto-isolator but then uses it to drive a MOSFET output stage for more switching capability (higher voltage/power than the typical opto-isolator). Clever idea but a bit of a pain in this situation!

Gents,

Thank you for your help. I will do as advised - will use relays to control CW and CCW of spindle. I have ordered relay set from link provided by Lee Roberts. Will try and come back with results :)

One more idea I have, and I will risk to share it . UC300 have 2 analog outputs and those are without opto-isolator. Would this be a solution ? Or should I stick with opto-isolated outputs / relay confirguration ?

Another question I have regarding stopping spindle if e-stop is activated. At the testing VFD /spindle I had an issue that when UC300 gives message on screen that it has been disconnected - spindle is up and running anyway... I want to avoid that in the future.
    VFD has 2 relays that I could use for this purpose. Please see attached pic of the wiring I think to go with. I see that relays are 24v operated, can I use internal VFD +24V supply to drive the relays ?

Name:	relay connection.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	561.9 KB 
ID:	19360

Thank You
    Last edited by TadasM; 29-09-2016 at 09:27 AM.

No, do not wire your VFD to BOB like that. That will put 24V on the output of the BOB which will probably destroy it. If the VFD has an estop input, you could take the output of the BOB to that so that it enables/disables with the stepper drivers, but this will need a relay between BOB and VFD, like the for/rev connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    The installation manual, p48 in the copy I found, shows that there is a switch which will let you do this. See "Sink position using the output power supply for the digital inputs".
    You can also set it to "Source" and use the internal +24V. Whichever you prefer.

Hi Gents,

I finally received relay array (8 ch). While I was waiting, reassembled all electronics to proper enclosure:

Name:	2016-10-04 22.05.13 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	19456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-10-08 17.13.59 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	19457

While connected only power source, I have wired BOB power inputs (12v) and tried to power on and see if all is good. And my BOB gave some flash and smoke :

Name:	2016-10-03 20.35.44 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	19458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-10-04 14.10.17 (Medium).png 
Views:	225 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	19459

and here is closeup before this :

Name:	HDBB.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	337.1 KB 
ID:	19460

I'm not sure how this happened, but I only see that the bolt I have used, head was too big (even before it was ok..) Anybody see other issue here ? I hope that new BOB will no act same...

Now I'm waiting for the new BOB to arrive and hopefully get everything going...

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Where did the magic smoke appear from and exactly how did you connect it up.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information