. .
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Better late than never but guitars are something I'm very interested in so I will start to follow this thread once I've caught up on the reading.

P.S Where are the project files ? will they open in Rhino ?

Edit: I think I'm correct in saying that the project files are accessed through Fusion360, in which case I won't be getting to them.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 30-06-2017 at 07:01 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Better late than never but guitars are something I'm very interested in so I will start to follow this thread once I've caught up on the reading.
    Welcome back Eddy long time no see
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

When you sanded the fretboard black dots it looks like there was no contamination of the maple grain. I once used ebony dots and upon sanding, it went right into the lighter wood's grain.
    I liked the idea of using a lathe to drill the truss rod hole in the heel, I guess the neck was horizontal because you were using a 2 way truss rod rather than a bowed threaded rod.

Here's a pickup ring I made recently for a humbucker, toolpaths made in CamBam

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image9.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	251.0 KB 
ID:	22036
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 30-06-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

P.S Where are the project files ? will they open in Rhino ?

Edit: I think I'm correct in saying that the project files are accessed through Fusion360, in which case I won't be getting to them.
    Hi Eddy - yes they are in Fusion 360 - the f3d files are also linked in my drop box on the CAM/cut out video,

Any particular reason for not using Fusion?
    Last edited by Washout; 30-06-2017 at 10:27 PM.

When you sanded the fretboard black dots it looks like there was no contamination of the maple grain. I once used ebony dots and upon sanding, it went right into the lighter wood's grain.
    I liked the idea of using a lathe to drill the truss rod hole in the heel, I guess the neck was horizontal because you were using a 2 way truss rod rather than a bowed threaded rod.

Here's a pickup ring I made recently for a humbucker, toolpaths made in CamBam

Name:	Image9.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	251.0 KB 
ID:	22036
    Yes it was a double action rod and horizontal - hence all the "hiding" I had to do to make it look like the original single action bow type with cross head adjuster.

The maple grain was fine after sanding, normally I would clean the fret board before spraying, but this particular guitar is supposed to look like a 62 vintage, so I'm currently testing ways on offcuts of "dirtying" the wood up that also allows nitro lacquer to still adhere (which will then sadly be "worn" back again somewhat to replicate wear).

Nice pickup ring BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    Any particular reason for not using Fusion?
    Yes, I use Rhino3D and CamBam

Been on a bit of a break from the guitar project, but lacquer has finally started to be laid down (not without some trouble of my own making):

Nice burst!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickhofen View Post
    Nice burst!
    Thanks - it still needs some amber/clear over, which will "age" the look slightly before polishing, but I'm happy with how it came out compared to the original - better start practicing my add9th's again :-)

Practice is good! Lol.

Name:	FB_IMG_1504678162979.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	22717

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information