. .
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Hi all,

Hopefully you have all seen the results of using my CNC machine to make a Fender Jaguar replica and I'm very happy with how it came out. If you followed that thread you have also seen me mention on occasions that the next project will be a Fender Telecaster and that a couple of the guys here are interested in collaborating with me on it.

I'm not too familiar with how Fusion works when sharing projects, but we'll have a go (how hard can it be? ;) ) and make it up as we go along.

Anyway to get the ball rolling I have taken some pdf plans (PM me if you want the source files) and converted these to dxf in Vectric Cut2D. I have then imported the neck and body (after a fair bit of clean up) into Fusion 360 and now have a project going in there. Here's a screenshot (I hope):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FusionTele.png 
Views:	487 
Size:	918.7 KB 
ID:	19327

I have started with the neck as this is where most of the work is and the conversion has worked OK for dimensions (I've checked the fret spacing against a calculator) however there is much more to do and the tasks are roughly as follows:

Convert as many of the curves, which are made up of 100's of short lines into splines or other Fusion 360 geometry. I have already done the circles and the upper neck with fillets and splines for the headstock. The way you can tell is if you hover over a line and the whole curve highlights then it is done. If it is just a small line amongst hundreds of others then it still needs doing.

Sort out the truss rod on the side view (top view if you were playing the guitar), so that a standard double action truss rod will fit (we'll be going for a heel adjuster with a walnut plug at the headstock).

Probably combine or layer the fret slot marks onto the top most plan view so we can extrude and model from that one rather than trying to align extrusions from both.

Extrude the plan view into a solid body and start the process of "carving" the neck profile, fret board etc (going for a solid maple neck as its a lot easier than a cap rosewood but if someone wants to do that in a branched model then by all means go ahead).

OK in order to get access I will need a PM with a valid email address, so I can grant you access and we'll try the collaboration side of Fusion 360 out and possibly get some video footage for my channel as things progress.

I have no idea how version control works so we'll find out - it'll be fun :)

Cheers

Chris

I'm in Chris, PM sent......looking forward to this!!!
    Neil...

Build log...here

3. The Following User Says Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:

Thanks Neil - I've granted you access to the model, but I've no idea what that will look like on your end. It shoudl let you start working in it directly or at least on a version that you can upload back to the master.

Let me know as I can't see what it looks like from your perspective.

Cheers

Chris

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Washout For This Useful Post:

Cheers Chris, I'll hopefully have a very quick look tonight and see what happens!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Thanks Neil,

BTW - until I work out how version control works I'm taking regular copies of the models into another Project folder as a backup, so don't worry about messing anything up when editing.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    Thanks Neil,

BTW - until I work out how version control works I'm taking regular copies of the models into another Project folder as a backup, so don't worry about messing anything up when editing.

Chris
    That's good then
    Neil...

Build log...here

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Looking forward to seeing this take shape guys..!

Wal.

I'm in :)

.Me
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    I'm in :)

.Me
    Check PM Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    Looking forward to seeing this take shape guys..!

Wal.
    You're more than welcome to join in if you want Wal.

Chris

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information