. .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. I agree with Komitas.. Have you seen the new Prusa addon with the 4 colours?
    I don't want to hijack the thread but if you are looking for the best, cheapest and open source developed 3D printer with money going to real people.. get an original Prusa..
    Review here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfe_84FGJ8c
    Buy here http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/17-3d-printers
    And I'm not biased or affiliated with Prusa Research.. but I do make all our machines without linear rails :)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    I agree with Komitas.. Have you seen the new Prusa addon with the 4 colours?
    I don't want to hijack the thread but if you are looking for the best, cheapest and open source developed 3D printer with money going to real people.. get an original Prusa..
    Review here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfe_84FGJ8c
    Buy here http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/17-3d-printers
    And I'm not biased or affiliated with Prusa Research.. but I do make all our machines without linear rails :)
    Horses for courses. If you want to play, make a Prusa, if you are serious, get a Sigma
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Yes, that was me - casual visitors looked at the 3D printer, and anyone with a model engineering background had a chat about the spark eroder. A group of club members are currently working on a wire EDM machine on a similar small scale.

I built the Prusa which gave me a taste for CNC so I built a quick-and-dirty CNC router (JGRO design, all MDF). Had a lot of fun with that and did some useful work as well but it taught me enough that the mk2, currently about 90% complete, needed a lot more attention to some critical areas (while trying not to overbuild). When I get round to mk2 printer I shall take a similar approach, although the technology has moved on a lot.

Coming back, vaguely, to the original topic, I built a small vertical mill from a part-machined kit many years ago, and it's still in use. However, it now sits alongside a Chinese vertical mill which, in real terms, probably cost rather less than the original kit for significantly more capacity. The kind of machine shown in this thread represents how much easier it is now to get decent machining capacity at home than it used to be, even for a build-it-if-you-can dinosaur like me.
    Last edited by Neale; 05-10-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Neale,

since you saw my machines at the BSMEE, could you share your honest thoughts :D
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    since you saw my machines at the BSMEE, could you share your honest thoughts :D
    Happy to do so, but my memory has more holes than a vacuum table...

When I saw Emvio at the show, it rang a bell but I didn't associate it with anything that I'd seen on this forum or I would have said hello. I do remember that the stand always seemed fairly busy - don't know how that translates into real business, but you seemed popular!

The couple of things that I do remember were the quality of the prints produced, and the quality of the machine build. Now, I'm coming from a pretty low level when it comes to print quality on my own machine, but I would be very happy with the quality of output of your printers. My reaction to looking at construction and quality of build was that it went rather further than I would have expected in a 3D printer, especially bearing in mind that fused-filament is probably the least good of all the 3D print technologies, but it was a bit further up the curve of diminishing returns than I might have expected. However, I am a bit out of touch with the current crop of commercially-produced machines so bear that in mind when you read this.

One of my own background projects is to build a spark eroder. I have already built the basic structure using some prints from my 3D printer and it's waiting for me to build the electronics now. One specific project is to use it to make extruder nozzles, to get finer holes than I can drill, and it would allow me to make them from stainless as well. Ready-made extruders? Bah, humbug!

7. That's just it.. the Prusa now prints as well if not better than the Sigma... full auto axis leveling.. and is half the price fully assembled.

That's just it.. the Prusa now prints as well if not better than the Sigma... full auto axis leveling.. and is half the price fully assembled.
    Well excuse me David, but insisting that a machine without linear rails is anything but toy is ridiculous to me.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Well excuse me David, but insisting that a machine without linear rails is anything but toy is ridiculous to me.
    lol, yes but you have ridiculous OCD no ???

Thanks for sharing that link David, great review.

Guys if there is anything I can do to help support the development of the 3DP scene here on the forums please let me know.

Expanding the 3DP section is something I hoped for as interest grows amongst us, obviously I can't do everything on my own i.e staying up to date on the latest, posting about it and also nurturing that area of interest locally.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 06-10-2016 at 07:28 PM.
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    lol, yes but you have ridiculous OCD no ???
    Maybe. But in this case I just couldn't resist to say that.

Sb presents his business, machine etc. and sb else starts speaking how there is a better one at half the price that is in totally different category ... So i just felt the need to remind comparing square supported linear rails with diy linear movement is not in the same category.

I could give examples and review some similar machines cause i have friends that are not happy with what they have got for their money. Once they woke up what have they bought for their money exactly. But that's another story.

Also not that i care about 3d printing and companies, but i don't see why if somebody open sourced his plans has to be blamed for unfair quotes and undermining small manufacturers. They have different and understandable / to me/ priorities :

"As an institute belonging to a public university, also makes it a priority to bring manufacturing to society, helping to break the barrier between people and digital technology related to manufacturing, welcoming them under the view of generating jobs with added value.

So if somebody has to say sth for his offering, lets say it, but speaking about 3d printing in general, discussing other brands here and useless conversations - we could do that somewhere else. People should learn to respect other people's effort.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Linear bearings are fine, in the right application and if properly specified. My vertical mill uses cast-iron slides. My current router uses profile rails. My 3D printer uses linear bearings. The issue with the printer is not that it uses linear bearings, but that they use 8mm unsupported rods in a frame that does not provide adequate, stiff, support. Given the overall system accuracy needed for 3D printing, and the relatively low loads on the guide rails, I don't see a problem in principle; it's just that my current machine is too flimsy. In a commercial machine where you can machine mating surfaces, it might be quicker and easier to use profile rails. In a home-built machine where you build in adjustment and have the time to set up accurately, there might be a better way. Look at the system design and don't get hung up on point details. I shall be thinking about the overall frame design for my mk2 printer and choose an appropriate guide system in the context of that design.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information