Quote Originally Posted by Grambot View Post
Thanks for all this info everyone. This is so valuable for me.

Does this mean, I'll be spending a lot of time getting the right toolpath and speeds etc, and eventually I'll have a program which I'll be able to keep using for one particular design?
It means you will start cutting fast, then lower speeds when you encounter problems. It also means sometimes instead of profiling, you will have to pocket some extra pockets, so as the rests from wood not to obstruct the vacuum shoe, or chip when they fly away. Meaning last pass should be carefull and well thought. / Lastpass is when you cut off the detail/ . As i said experimenting should be done with each material for optimum results.

I'm also interested in trying out many designs, timbers to see what effect it has on the sound.
Thats the spirit

Yes, it does seem loud. I'm wondering if I can use my machine at home during the day without too much extra soundproofing.
Forget about that

I know how to soundproof, so its not the end of the world, but it would be great to be able to occasionally leave a window open :-)
Its not the machine that makes the noise. Its virtually silent with the water cooled spindle. you can not hear it if you are doing sth small. Its the bit in the wood that makes the noise. A big noise. No windows open. For home scenario, you need a to make an enclosure. And if you have neighbours touching from one side, forget about that too. Even the frequent vacuum cleaning will make them crazy.