. .
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I know there's been plenty talk about the low end controllers on here and various other places, but has anybody came across anything about the higher end controllers?

I'm talking the 990/1000 series. I like the look of the 1000 type with the MPG panel, but there seems to be a void of any sort of information about what exactly they're capable of, and how much you can program them to handle things like tool changers. Most listings seem to mention PLC scripts and being able to custom edit them, but that's about as much info as I can find.

SZGH have manuals at http://www.szghauto.com/index.php?c=...&a=type&tid=40
    but after having a scan through them, they mention nothing about custom programs. The CNC1000Mdbc(machine centre) manual does cover tool changers at the end, but I suspect quite a bit has been lost in translation.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

I have a NEW990TDb 2 axis lathe controller, mine isn't setup as yet, the lathe isn't finished but we brought two into the country and Steve Blackmore up at St Helens has his fitted to an Orac lathe with VFD spindle and closed loop steppers and it's all working.

Not to bad to set up but now someone has done one the rest will be easy. Main thing is everything worked as it should, first thread was perfect.

Must admit though tool change will take some sorting out. On the lathe it has a plug on the back pulse +, pulse -, 8 sensor inputs and lock.
    Probably be easier to hand over to an Arduino to do the sensing then hand back ?
    Threading encoder, VFD and pendant just wired up fine to the supplied leads.
    John S -

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I should of mentioned I'm considering this for a mill, although I doubt there will be much difference between the similar mill/turn models.

John, have you or Steve looked to see if there's any way to edit the PLC/Ladder onscreen?
    I'm not really wanting to start faffing around with bodges to get the tool changer working, I'd rather just wire it directly (probably via some sort of buffer/relay board), and have the controller handle everything.

A bit more searching has turned up a manual for PLC programming on a GSK218M on the cncmaker website - http://www.cncmakers.com/cnc/Tech_Su...r_Manuals.html (scroll down to the bottom) and they also list a PLC manual and software under the Turn controllers for the 983 series (which appears to be an analogue controller). Going by the manual they use pretty standard looking PLC/Ladder Logic, which I can handle.
    I've just installed the 983 software, and it only covers GSK 983 controllers, as you have to select the model when you try creating a new ladder, so I'm guessing there is other software, or you can edit the PLC/ladders directly on the controllers.

My other option is to use a KFlop, but I like the idea of the self contained unit, rather than having a motherboard/keyboard/mouse/monitor scattered around.
    But given a 4-axis unit with an MPG mounted on it is in the region of £1000 delivered, I'd want to know it'll definitely do what I need it to, before I buy one. I could email the suppliers and ask, however I'm not going to get much response this week, given it's China's national holiday week.

Did you guys read the connection manuals, not the general manuals? here is the one for the 990 controller. I have not read it all but i think its very well explained about the tool changers.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Spent the weekend doing ladder programming for my GSK980MDc. Not easy but doable. You cannot do it on screen unfortunately sk was going back and forth to the computer.

Really like my 980mdc, it does up to 5 axes and has built in logic for BT and Carousel type ATC's
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Boyan, I never noticed there were different manuals. The GSK site stopped loading for me, however I got an Installation and Connection manual from the cncmakers website.
    I've had a quick scan through it, and it seems to contain the necessary info, other than where to download the software :-/

Komatias, the SZGH/CNC1000 manual I mentioned earlier has a bit about the two types of tool changers at the end, however as I mentioned, it's not exactly clear as to what they're requirements are. Going by what I understand of the manual, it's aimed at certain changers which must be commonly fitted to machines.
    Care to share some more info on what you're fitting one to?

They have also/ all the different manufacturers / additional boards, that they call" concentrator boards" so make sure you order the one with the relays on it. Its not expensive, i think, and will save you a lot of headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Komatias, the SZGH/CNC1000 manual I mentioned earlier has a bit about the two types of tool changers at the end, however as I mentioned, it's not exactly clear as to what they're requirements are. Going by what I understand of the manual, it's aimed at certain changers which must be commonly fitted to machines.
    Care to share some more info on what you're fitting one to?

M_C, yes there are generic ATC's that you can buy from the orient. They work on switches so the output of each switch is fed back to the PLC which inidicates e.g. the ATC is in place for a tool change or that the drawbar is unclamped, etc etc. I was looking at one with a geneva mechanism recently that is not too difficult to make.

So I really want to share what it is fitted to but I have to resist the temptation. Suffice to say, the GSK was standard on the machine as were the GSK servos. When I am good and ready with the machine it is on, rest assured you will know.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post

So I really want to share what it is fitted to but I have to resist the temptation. Suffice to say, the GSK was standard on the machine as were the GSK servos. When I am good and ready with the machine it is on, rest assured you will know.
    I understand. But tell me one thing. Did you find what is the real difference between 980 and 990 controls? I still can not find it reading the manual. Did you had any special preference not to buy the other company 1000 control versus the 980? As they are very similar. Or just price features commanded that decision?

Model numbering seems to be almost random. From what I've seen, I'm guessing 1000 series are basically 900 series but in a complete unit (900 series have separate display/control panels). The big problem with comparing models, is every spec sheet seems to be worded, laid out, and translated differently, so comparisons are hard to do.

I've had an email back from CNCMakers, and they've recommended the GSK218MC series, however as standard it only does a max of 3-axis simultaneously I.e it can only move 3 axis at any one time - I had to email them it clarify that.
    I'm waiting to hear back.

I've also emailed Newkye to see what they recommend.

CNCMakers/GSK call the break out boards De-concentrators, and they have the option of basic ones that simply convert the 3 25-pin D connectors to screw terminals, as well as an output board with relays.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information