. .

Thread: My machine...

Hi!

I have started the mock up of my router.
    Allthough i plan to let it evolve, naturally the plan is to make a decent machine from the beginning.
    The Y-axles will be belt driven by one larger stepper and i will use a CSMIO IP-M to control this thing...

Here are some pictures...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	274 
Size:	943.2 KB 
ID:	19465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	291 
Size:	1,016.5 KB 
ID:	19466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	974.5 KB 
ID:	19467

Some good progress there.
    The Y axis rails on either side of the gantry is unusual. I'll have to see what you have in mind for the rest of it.
    Also currently you will not have much Z travel with this design. Are you planning to cut sheets/panels only?
    If not and you need to cut things with more depth you will need to raise the X rails extrusions (long ones) away from the bed on supports (raised X axis style).
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Thanks, im looking forward to show, its gonna take some time though.

The distance between whats going to be a spoilboard and up to the profile is about 150 mm. It does not look like that in the pictures but still its not much, im aware.
    With the design i have in mind for Z (not 100% done yet) i will get roughly about 80-100 mm effective Z and that will do to start with.
    There are some loudspeaker and RC projects im eager to get started with when the machine is up and running, first things first...

Yes, exactly! The design makes (raised X axis style) my plan B. It will probably get to that later.

Ive thought about the router build for like 2-3 years and i was going obsessed so right now im getting started. Goal is something strong which is easy to develop further.
    Btw im using 1610 screws for Y and 1605 at X and Z. Effective area for X and Y will be roughly about 500x700.
    Last edited by JW1977; 18-10-2016 at 07:44 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1447.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	268.7 KB 
ID:	19470[QUOTE=JW1977;84389]
    Not unlike my design. Here I use it as a 3D printer. I use reck&pinion on Y axis and timing belt on X. Y is 1205 ball screw. Y axis has 200 mm lift.

Good luck with your build. I notice we have the same bench drill... a Bosch PBD 40. What do you think about it? I hate the chuck and the fact that that it has too much flexing but otherwise it is nice. I will change the chuck one of these days and also fix the flexing...

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Good luck with your build. I notice we have the same bench drill... a Bosch PBD 40. What do you think about it? I hate the chuck and the fact that that it has too much flexing but otherwise it is nice. I will change the chuck one of these days and also fix the flexing...
    Thanks!
    If they would make a blue version of it i would love it. As you say the big flaw is the design of the chuck.
    I disassembled the machine once. I thought I should change the bearings but I noticed that it wasn’t the chuck itself that had too much clearance, it’s what holds the bearings, the chassis.
    When I drilled the linear rails I noticed that it gets better if you tighten the big handle pretty hard before you drill. It might seem obvious but I have forgotten before so…

I have thought about upgrading the PBD40 myself when my router will be ready. Not too easy but off course it can be done with some work. I think it would be worth it.
    It’s a nice bench drill. I’m also surprised I haven’t found any info about anyone who has done it yet…

[QUOTE=Poppey;84395]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1447.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	268.7 KB 
ID:	19470
    Quote Originally Posted by JW1977 View Post
    Not unlike my design. Here I use it as a 3D printer. I use reck&pinion on Y axis and timing belt on X. Y is 1205 ball screw. Y axis has 200 mm lift.
    Yes, you right! Nice!

Thread Information