. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hi all
    i want to make a 1200x600 machine and i am looking for a proven plan to start my shopping list
    any help or links would be great i have a budget of a £1000 to start
    thanks daveo

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveo View Post
    hi all
    i want to make a 1200x600 machine and i am looking for a proven plan to start my shopping list
    any help or links would be great i have a budget of a £1000 to start
    thanks daveo
    The plan would be to save up a bit more to about £1500-£2000

Welcome to the forum and have a look through some of the build logs.
    Last edited by Clive S; 25-10-2016 at 06:11 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

hi thanks for the welcome, i do have 1500 in the kitty but buy the time i get started i will have more, i was looking at starting with the ali extrusion,rails and ball screws
    daveo

Quote Originally Posted by Daveo View Post
    hi thanks for the welcome, i do have 1500 in the kitty but buy the time i get started i will have more, i was looking at starting with the ali extrusion,rails and ball screws
    daveo
    Don't start with anything.? By this I mean dont buy a single thing NOTHING AT ALL. The most common mistake made is buying parts before final design is choosen and components decided upon.

Even then still don't buy anything until you are actually ready to build then build in phases. It's good idea to get all the mechanical parts before starting on the frame so can offer them up and see any potential hidden problems you missed in the CAD design stage.

Electrics are one of the last things you'll need so don't buy those until mechanical is nearly finished. While it's tempting and exciting when it's first machine to buy motors etc and have spinning on bench it's also numb thing to do because your wasting warranty.

Don't rush and have clear plan and design in mind. Ask questions and do plenty of research until your sure you know exactly what's needed and understand why it's needed then ask again just to check you really know what you think you know.!!

Good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Whilst I agree with you Jazz,

I have bought most of the build kit, with only a roughed out design. I had good reason to do it that way, I had to spend the money before my wife decided something else was more important. I know that warranties will be wasted and some bits may not turn out to be appropriate, but I didn't see my build EVER happening otherwise.

At least now it won't be new carpets, furniture, decoration, etc instead. I have enough in the garage to start a construction and except for a pulley or belt or something, probably finish it too.

As my granddad used to say before they took him away - 'There's method in my madness'.

Cheers,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Whilst I agree with you Jazz,

I have bought most of the build kit, with only a roughed out design. I had good reason to do it that way, I had to spend the money before my wife decided something else was more important.
    Easy sorted.??? . . . . Do what I did get rid of the Fat controller and retro fit with newer younger model. When starts putting demands on system do another retro fit. .

ok, so can any point me to a few links so i can get an idea of what i want.as i said i would like it around 1200mm x 600mm
    daveo

Can you give us some idea what you want to cut ? It makes an awful lot of difference if we know whether you just want to gently slice spongecake or hew titanium at warp speed.

Ta

Rob

hi
    i want to cut carbon fibre and ally, my boy wants to do skate board decks
    daveo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information