. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangle_kt View Post
    I'm happy for newbie ribbing, a small price for access to free knowledge. :)
    The good folks of this forum wouldn't do that to Newbie.!! . . . . But with you being from wrong side of pennines the Bad one will Rip the shite out of you. . .

Welcome and don't mess up or else Ripppppppppppppppppppppppppp.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 27-10-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Ever the optimist, when I bought CAD/CAM I cheerfully imagined that using a solid model which had been given to me I could just point the CAM at it and press a button ;-)
    12 months after that I finally reached the point where I was rarely stuck with anything 2D, 2.5D or 3-Axis 3D

When you buy CAD/CAM it's worth looking at what learning resources and user group support is available, good tutorials and a good support forum are invaluable resources for a new user,

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

I started out trying to cut corners on the CAD/CAM software. Brought me no end of grief and wasted a lot of time using various open-source and similar "products". I then switched to Vectric vCarve. Certainly not cheap, but deceptively simple. That is, when you first look at it, it looks as if there is hardly anything there to do all the fancy things you might want to do. Then you start using it and find out that they have very carefully selected the bits you actually need and left out a lot of the fancy stuff that no-one ever uses. It's great for routers and people doing mainly woodwork, that is, 2.5D work. That means things like cutting profiles of parts, cutting pockets and similar to depth, and it is excellent for lettering (signboards and so on). I use it still, especially if I'm just drawing a single part with no 3D elements, just because it is so quick.

However, for engineering-type parts, like an increasing number of people here, I am using Fusion 360 which is a professional level application which is free for home and hobby use. Great for building 3D designs with multiple components, and also for producing engineering drawings to take into the workshop for use at a manual machine (mill, lathe, whatever). It also has a CAM package built in, as already mentioned, so you can go from design to gcode in one package. Learning curve is a bit steep but it's well worth it, and not that difficult once you have grasped a few basic concepts. Lots of tutorials available. Don't know about forum support - I'm fortunate to have not needed it yet.

I wouldn't go back to anything less now, although I'm sure that there are some better options available. But at a cost...

I like this channel for fusion learning..

https://www.youtube.com/user/saunixcomp

it does give me machine envy though...

Even the most basic equipment gives me machine envy as currently apart from a hacksaw, angle grinder, cordless drill and files by ability to hack at metal is zero.

Downloaded Fusion 360, watched a few videos and had a very short play - I like it! Loads to learn, as pretty pictures alone are not the whole story - I have huge gaps in anything but the very basics. Youtube videos about the software give me information I can transfer to my projects, but that assumes I know what I am trying to make.

For example I am trying to model a clamp for a set of motorcycle forks - easy...until I realised it would be a clamp which would fit perfectly round the fork, but not tighten onto it... its these sorts of practical bits that I imagine a forum and trial and error will help with. - SO very happy I have found this resource.

I have for sale full package Step Four 760 Precise.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    I have for sale full package Step Four 760 Precise.
    What sort of cakes do you ice with it, as it certainly not suitable for the OP's applications.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

I am in Lancashire and I have a Denford Novamill available.

Roger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information