. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On the off chance one of you guys is getting a shiny new CNC mill for xmas and is looking to make space early, I thought I'd post up.

I am a complete novice, and looking for a CNC Mill (as good a brand as possible) running mach 3 or similar.

I'd like the full package that can be unplugged from one workshop, and plugged into mine and be in a fully working state - so no projects please, as I'd be out of my depth before I start.

As with all these sorts of purchases, I'd like a massive one, but probably don't have room for much bigger than a Denford Triac, but I am ideally after a reasonable size working area, I'm thinking 200mm x 150mm x 150mm as a rough idea of the sort of size parts I'm looking to work with (motorcycle parts, mostly aluminium but some steel too perhaps).

I have nothing mill or CNC related, so tooling/vice etc would be best included.

I am based in the north west of England, but can travel and I have a van.

Budget is flexible, but I have a ceiling of £3kish

Thanks in advance

What CAD/CAM are you planning to use?
    I ask because I bought a CNC mill, fixed a few issues, stood back, admired my work and thought.....

How the hell do I make the code to make it make things ;-)

= Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Now that is an excellent question. I have my eye on a Dunford Novamill which runs VR, but I think that turns G code into something the machine understands, but how that g code gets made, and how that is based on some sort of computer model I "draw" is a complete mystery to me. I was hoping something mad like, "it's a generic file type and any package works fine with VR" might be a bit optimistic...

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    If the machine still runs VR milling, then it takes a pretty generic Fanuc style G-code.
    A Mach 3 post-processor normally works, but it may need a little bit tweaking of certain codes to work without flagging any errors.
    Now you're probably wondering what a post-processor is, but it's the final part of the CAM process.
    In a nutshell, you go CAD -> CAM -> Machine code.
    CAD can be whatever you want to draw/model in, but it has to output a file format that your chosen CAM will load.
    CAM (computer aided machining) is what generates the toolpaths for machining the part. There are lots of options (I'd probably suggest CamBam as it's only demo limitation is you can only load it 40 times before having to buy a license), and most come with some form of CAD element, although some vary from mediocre hair removal aids, to well featured CAD.
    Once you have generated the toolpaths in CAM, the CAM package then runs those toolpaths through the post-processor, which is what creates the machine code suitable/specific for your machine.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thanks MC, so to check my understanding.

1.Draw something, maybe sketchup or similar?
    2.Pass file to cambam, process
    3 pass cambam output to VR
    4 VR runs the mill

Is there a second part to stage 3 involving post processing I have missed? You mention mach3, but I thought VR did the same job?

This is really helpful for me btw! So thank you

Fusion 360 is free, does CAD, CAM, and post for VR (ive never used that bit)...
    Mach3 would be used in place of VR. i believe it was suggested as most likely compatible...

i'd recommend getting hold of fusion 360.... and running with that.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Fusion is free for hobby use and does have a learning curve but it is well worth learning and is very powerful.
    There are plenty of tutorials like;- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Alt9yzBIp84sD8
    and on the website.
    Generally it is a full 3D Cad and CAM
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I'm meant to be working Clive - you can't post links like that during office hours

Managed to drag myself away after 20 mins.

Must resist.....

Cheers for the pointer guys :D

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangle_kt View Post
    I'm meant to be working Clive - you can't post links like that during office hours

Managed to drag myself away after 20 mins.

Must resist.....

Cheers for the pointer guys :D
    I see that you have the right type of humour for this forum. That will help when you get the piss taken as it often does but only ever in jest.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I'm happy for newbie ribbing, a small price for access to free knowledge. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information