. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ok Time for all you office and none engineering types to help out Ok because nothing to do with CNC but it's another thing I've got to think about which stops me thinking CNC so got to get it out of my brain. . .Lol

Anyone with experience of colour label Printers and paper for light industrial use that don't cost the earth and can creat glossy or semi gloss labels that are chemical/water resistant. IE: can handle MEK, Acetone, thinners etc.

Any info welcome. .
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 27-10-2016 at 09:24 PM.

Avery do some metalised labels for laser printing that will withstand oil etc.

http://www.avery.co.uk/avery/en_gb/P...vy-Duty-Labels

However when we used to make the Ink Mixing machines we just colour printed a label and then laminated it making sure we had a laminate border round the label so liguids couldn't get in then double sided taped them onto the machine.

John S -

At work we print hundreds of colour labels a day and the most cost effective way for us is using a good quality laser.
    This is only viable if you can batch print rather than print single labels on demand, in which case a dedicated label printer is the way to go.

For custom self printed colour labels to be solvent resistant is a very,very big ask. I've never seen a laser or ink jet label that would survive contact with solvents like thinners,mekp etc.
    It may be worth looking into 'chemical resistant over laminates' that are placed over the label to protect it. Which are basically a clear (polyester?) protective label that is slightly larger than the printed label.
    I don't have any experience of those I'm afraid, hopefully someone else might.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    My thought would be a colour thermal printer, but having just googled to see what's available, an entry level machine won't leave you much change out of 1k.
    Do you need full colour printing, or would black on colour be good enough?
    It would probably be worthwhile giving somewhere like www.labelzone.co.uk a call, and see what they suggest. That's who I use for my postage label printing supplies, and they've always been helpful.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Ok I've had Label supplier in today and like Greeny says Laser is by far the most cost affective but not fully resistant at best it's only GHS compliant which isn't the same as fully solvent resistant. However the printed samples, which where printed in front of me, are still good enough for my needs.
    Label supplier also put me in touch with printer supplier who'll provide Free printer if Toners bought from them and without a Contract or minimum qty which is good.

The laminating route isn't practical because I'm needing several hundred per week.

Thanks Lads.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 28-10-2016 at 05:45 PM.

What about 0.5- 1mm drag diamond aluminum engraved plates ? very nice, could be bought bulk from China or local supplier, plus could be anodised and the scratch will be even more beautiful
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    What about 0.5- 1mm drag diamond aluminum engraved plates ? very nice, could be bought bulk from China or local supplier, plus could be anodised and the scratch will be even more beautiful
    Yes Boyan would look lovely but would be right Bitch to stick on plastic 5ltr container . .

My fault should have made more clear the usage of the label.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yes Boyan would look lovely but would be right Bitch to stick on plastic 5ltr container . .

My fault should have made more clear the usage of the label.
    if the container is glossy i know of a way to stick them to industrial standard that will hold to acetone and stuff. No good if the surface is not glossy. A quality double tape, but not like in the shops. If that's the method you choose i will check what was the exact 3m model that works on curved shapes and the one on flat shapes is thinner

But one of the proper ways to mark plastic is with thermal marking tape and you can easily figure out a simple manual variation of the thing on video , basically a solder gun that heats a plate that heats the transfer tape:

project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    if the container is glossy i know of a way to stick them to industrial standard that will hold to acetone and stuff. No good if the surface is not glossy. A quality double tape, but not like in the shops. If that's the method you choose i will check what was the exact 3m model that works on curved shapes and the one on flat shapes is thinner
    Wayyyyyyyyyy too complicated and expensive. This needs to be done for pennies per label and stuck on in under 3sec's with no machinery involved.
    Simple label is all thats required. Just needs to be cheap, stick and not easily wiped off and think I've found the answer in this laser setup. But thanks for the suggestions.

The only thing I can think of which approaches the original stated requirements are the Zebra plastic lablels which are rated for cryogenic and lab samples combined with a resin transfer roll but you'd need a Zebra or similar thermal printer for that.
    Does laser print stand up to MEK and Acetone?

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information