. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by martin1973 View Post
    In the meantime any directional pointers would be appreciated. Martin
    You should be in good hands with Jazz now Martin, however I would seriously consider getting a new enclosure and re doing that box of bits you've got there !!!

The green backing looks to me like fiberboard, I can see why they may have used that but again seriously ?? Flammable or what ?!?!

You've got what i'm assuming is silicone sealant (looks more like toothpaste) and two cable ties acting as a makeshift wiring grommet supporting the main cable entry point (VERY LIKELY MAINS VOLTAGE @ 240v), all wrapped up in a nice birds nest of power and signal cables...

Not having a dig at you Martin as I know this is how you've received the machine, I'm just worried on your behalf and continually surprised at the things I see others do, that they obviously think in their wildest dreams is a good idea and even safe enough to pass on to someone else.
    .Me

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    As Jazz has said, it's the XML (or backups) that contains all the configuration data for the machine, however what version of Windows is on the new computer?
    If you open up (my) computer, right click and select "Properties", you should get a screen that shows the key properties for the computer. Is the System Type listed as 32 or 64bit?
    The reason I ask, is going by the parallel cable, I'm going to assume the parallel port is being used, which will only work on 32bit versions of Windows, and Windows 7 or earlier (the parallel port driver will not work on 64bit and/or Windows 8 onwards)
    Jazz did skip a step. When you load Mach3, do you select a profile?
    If you do, is it still the exact same one as you did on the old PC?
    If it is, then the XML is already in the main Mach3 folder, not the backup folder, so it's more likely to be a problem with the parallel port configuration. However, if the original machine did use plasma.xml (very bad practise!), then check the backup folder, as re-installing Mach 3 may cause the default file to of replaced the configuration file you need.
    If you didn't have to select a profile on the old computer, then it means a shortcut had been created that automatically loaded the required profile (You'd need to look at the properties of the original shortcut, and the profile name will be appended to the shortcuts target).
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Hello Lee,

Toothpaste must have some insulating qualities? The other machines we have are all to a recognized quality standard and all decent. Jazz is very helpful and think I am on the way to getting matters sorted.

This is first for me, using a forum and finding this site very useful.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    .The reason I ask, is going by the parallel cable, I'm going to assume the parallel port is being used, which will only work on 32bit versions of Windows, and Windows 7 or earlier (the parallel port driver will not work on 64bit and/or Windows 8 onwards)
    Good Spot Moray didn't take much notice of the PC and assumed was same PC just fixed. It does look quite new so your probably correct could be 64bit.

Martin if this is the case then you'll need 32bit windows or another PC.

However I must agree with Lee that the Control box is Box of rubbish and with some dodgy wiring and practises. Ie: wiring 2 drives to one Motor output.
    It may pay you to upgrade with better Controller that is Ethernet based and done correctly. This will allow to be run on 64bit PC and be much more stable.

Quote Originally Posted by martin1973 View Post
    Hello Lee,

Toothpaste must have some insulating qualities? The other machines we have are all to a recognized quality standard and all decent. Jazz is very helpful and think I am on the way to getting matters sorted.

This is first for me, using a forum and finding this site very useful.

Martin
    Well yes but for your teeth I thought ...

Good stuff, so long as we're all on the same hymn sheet and all that.

Welcome to the party, pic's and video of the big day very welcome.
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Jazz did skip a step. When you load Mach3, do you select a profile?
    Didn't skip it really moray. I deliberately didn't ask because IME most builders, well the bad ones anyway, just use MachMill or Plasma default shortcuts so didn't want to confuse the issue asking questions probably couldn't answer or didn't know.

The backup's would still be there with date stamp so result would have been same in end.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    You should be in good hands with Jazz now Martin, however I would seriously consider getting a new enclosure and re doing that box of bits you've got there !!!
    +1 to this. Also, I reckon you're going to have bad problems with noise from the stepper drivers and sensor/limit inputs with the amount of unshielded cable in use. Once the machine is up and running really, really consider a full rewire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information