. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The movement of the axis is free - I attached the ballscrew nut to the Z-axis earlier today (just uploading the pictures, and then I'll write it up). There is a small amount of play, but I've not put in all the bolts, and of the ones that are in, not all are tight (I think only 8 are tight, and there's 22 in total).

I know what you mean about the brace; I'll have to see what happens when everything's tight (I do need to put another plate in anyway to push the router vertical; this could be made a triangulation piece).

Note that I'm considering that axis the Y axis (based on the previous version and the orientation of the computer models I've made).

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    You call that axis whatever you like mate....you made it so you get to name it My X has an X on the back so I don't forget lol .......I'm going to figure how to mark the Y :naughty:
    Ahh - excellent.

The axes are now "Jim", "Fred" and "Shiela".
    Last edited by tribbles; 30-07-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Must remember the plural of axis is axes

You might want to fix the Mondeo, or fit a tent to the Aeon; heavy rain forecast for the rest of the weekend!

I'm kidding - about the tent!

You know -- the more of this you blog, the more we all want to see Jim Fred & Shelia do their thing!!

John
    who is mighty envious of that wonderful workshop you have.:heehee:
    Templecorran
    Where the Light was kept during the Dark Ages

I'll fix the Mondeo over the weekend; I've got a large gazebo that I used while building the Aeon, and that'll cover me while working on it. The AA guy thinks it's the same problem I had 18 months ago, except the other side (which is lucky, because I bought a pair of 2nd hand drive shafts at the time, and I didn't get around to using that side).

If I can't find the shaft, then I'll have to see what the weather's doing next week; I'm not working on it over the weekend (it's 60 miles away).

It's also not my workshop (which is a shame), but they do have a large amount of steel which I can just pick and choose (the 1500mm lengths of 80mm box section I'm using were described as "offcuts"). And their welders are much better than mine.

I do have a better selection of smaller nuts and bolts though. And especially washers, of which I've only found 4 M8 ones in their entire collection.

Monday I should be wiring it, and Tuesday they should be moving around with any luck...

Hi, me again, from soggy wet Carickfergus.

I am amazed at how quickly this is taking shape! and such a monster too. 7ft x 5ft

How free was the gantry to move pushing it at the point where the ball nut is attached? I can't help think you might need another drive screw on the other side ...
    It's that dreaded turning moment thing again. and the far gantry is (what?) 1.5m over.

What a busy life you have!! Building CNC Routers, fixing Mondeos, family ...

We are really enjoying this blog.

Ye'll sooon be suukin deezal - keep 'er lit there bi

John
    Templecorran
    Where the Light was kept during the Dark Ages

(I'm going to give everyone a thanks later on)

It is my second go at it :)

There is practically no turning play in the beam, and there's only 4 of the 16 bolts screwed into the carriages. The distance between each of the carriages is as high as I could get away with (to assist in reducing turning play). I have a slight thought that there could be some skewing in the steel, but I hope I've used thick enough steel (which was the problem I had in the first version).

The level of accuracy I need for a car body is not much - 3mm is probably good enough (most kit cars are built from by hand, and they're accurate to around 10mm). My worst case aiming point is 1mm, but theoretically I should be getting 0.0625mm (half-stepping) - the controllers will do 10,000 steps per revolution, so 0.0025mm is the best with the ballscrews I've got.

My priority at the moment is speed though - the car will be made out of blocks of foam, and if a whole block needs cutting, then I've estimated 1 hour per block for milling. There's about 64 blocks to cut, which means 8 days (although some "blocks" are just thin strips which won't take much time). The original machine we were looking at over 1 day per block.

Mondeo - I found the other driveshaft this evening when I got back, so it should be fixed tomorrow (probably 3ish hours - that's how long it took me the last time, although most of my tools aren't in my possession [either in the workshop, or at a mate's house]).

Family - I'm not married, and I don't have any kids, so that doesn't really take up too much time

Okay, my 10 days are up - and it works (but needs a bit of tweaking).

Here's some pictures of it in action, and also the finished test item.

ETA: Or rather as finished as it could be before the tool fell out (it wasn't in very far into the collet [deliberately to give me some extra length]). That's why the front isn't finished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00185m.JPG 
Views:	851 
Size:	476.2 KB 
ID:	716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00184m.JPG 
Views:	468 
Size:	344.1 KB 
ID:	717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00183m.JPG 
Views:	460 
Size:	373.6 KB 
ID:	718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00187m.JPG 
Views:	440 
Size:	261.8 KB 
ID:	719  
    Last edited by tribbles; 07-08-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information