Thread: Milling: creating a smooth end finish in a slot

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Say what with the who now!? There are always wheels within wheels with this hobby. How do I pierce at a slope!?

Your slot drill is bound to chew up the metal directly below it's centre, it is just something they do. A milling cutter has no cut towards the middle so it can leave a fine finish below. They all have their tricks.

However a milling cutter can only plunge vertically so far before it's non-cutting middle bottoms out, so you have to move sideways as you move downwards to remove that middle.

Well, either that or restrict your Z travel to what it can manage

Ah, I always climb into the cut so I should be able to end-mill. But I thought a slot-mill and an end-mill were essentially the same things these days? How would I know I was buying a true end-mill that gave me a smooth bottom. So to speak.

You "pierce at a slope" by using the ramped or spiral lead-in options in your CAM package.

Clods have muddied the water on cutter nomenclature but there are always centre-cutting and non centre-cutting tools, Slot Drill used to refer to a centre-cutting tool capable of plunging (Drilling) and End Mill to a non centre cutting tool,

- Nick
    If you will not be swayed by logic or experience simply pick the idea you
    like best, but ask yourself why you sought advice in the first place and,
    for a simple life, perhaps consider not doing so in future

Ah, Ok, so I want a non centre-cutting mill to achieve a good finish on my bottom? The terminology seems a bit weird to me as a thing that cuts a 'slot' I would have assumed to be good at cutting on the side (slots have walls), rather than the end, while the 'end' mill sounds as though it _should_ be good at cutting on the end. But I suppose it is good at 'milling' on the end, rather than 'cutting'? Bugrit, I'll stick with centre-cutting or non centre-cutting, that's at least a single term that can be positive or negative to conjure with.
    Last edited by Rob Meades; 25-12-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234