. .
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Anybody know of any sources for a low resolution rotary encoder?
    Low resolution in that I only need 6 positions, which could quite possibly mean my searches for encoder are why I'm not turning up anything useful.
    I do have an idea for making something suitable, but something ready made would make my life easier!
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Old fashioned computer mice have 3 inside.

You could make your own. If you read it by computer, put the 2 new data bits next to the old 2 data bits and use a look up table. If you want to hard wire it I would suggest you create 2 extra bits using delay lines. High hysteresis Schmitt trigger optics are handy removing jitter and bounce.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Ideally I'd like something that outputs simple binary/grey logic over three outputs, however I have discovered US Digital do absolute encoders with the option of outputting a 0-5V analogue output, and I will have analogue inputs available, so that is one option.
    I don't need highly accurate positioning, as there is another sensor that takes care of making sure things are aligned, it's just I'd like to add some form of feedback so I know what position things are at, rather than having to continually keep track of position. More so for power on, to eliminate the need to enter the current position, but the additional monitoring will be good to ensure things are running the correct way.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thread Information