. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think after Christmas, too much to do before, I'll have to get one and have a play as regards getting lathe running.

There are very few, in fact no cheap alternatives for lathe.
    The £400 Chinese lathe controller works and works well but it's mainly suited to production runs where you know the code and trust the controller.

My customers would just love a Mach3 lathe program that worked for worked read threading but it's not going to happen.
    It would be nice if this UCCNC plug in worked but I think it's more the fault of how Mach works than anything else but Gerry has shown that you can make UCCNC look like Mach so it could well be the next best thing.

When we did the first Sieg X3 milling machine kits the box of tricks came with a story book that basically said bolt this to that etc, etc and when It came to the electronics it has very clear colour pictures of where each wire went, what colour and why.

We even had guys as old as 84 build these and it's this that is missing from a lot of the conversions nowadays.

I think I need to talk to these people after Christmas.
    John S -

Someone on the UCCNC forum directed me to a nice looking breakout board from Thailand, and I ended up ordering it to use with my UC300ETH.

It's designed to work with a Smoothstepper, and uses 3 ports.

There are not a lot of options in 24V breakout boards, and this looked like the best of the ones that I've seen, and also was the least expensive.

http://www.cncroom.com/break-out-boa...sg1gjepeu9ugh3

It shipped about 10 days ago. Hopefully I'll get it this week. I think it's out in the ocean somewhere right now.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ger21 For This Useful Post:

At the end a 24VDc board with differential signals, servo enable and Spindle speed control that will not be affected by the VFD. If we are to believe all will work 100%. This board is clearly made to work with servo drives. Thanks for the link
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    Someone on the UCCNC forum directed me to a nice looking breakout board from Thailand, and I ended up ordering it to use with my UC300ETH.
    Excellent those are the features BOB should have.

Now Gerry get UCCNC people to do bit of reverse engineering like chinese do, so basicly copy it like for like. Then Stick the UC300ETH on top and they will Massive Winner.

Actually, I asked the guy in Thailand about making a version for the UC300ETH.
    He said it's unlikely, because they made a Pokeys breakout board and he's not selling any.
    I think it's partly because:
    1) Nobody has heard of CNC Room.
    2) There aren't that many Pokeys users.

I think CNC Drive, like CNC Room, are afraid of spending all the time developing a quality board, and finding out that they don't sell any.
    But if you build a quality product, and let people know about it, you'll sell a lot of them.

There is a minor issue with using the MB2 with the UC300ETH.
    The MB2 is designed to power the Smoothstepper through pin 26 of the ports.
    But the UC300 also supplies 5V power through pin 26.
    I see two option.
    1) Disable the 5V power supply on the MB2 by removing the solder bridge.
    2) Use 25 pin cables.

I plan on doing both. I'll make an interface board to mount the UC300 to the MB2, and make some custom ribbon cables.
    It won't be quite as clean as the ESS, though, because the UC300 ports are different.
    Instead of plugging in ports 1,2, and 3, they need to go 2,3, and 1, so the cable will need to be longer,m and cross over themselves a bit. I'll know a bit more when I get it.
    But it looks like a really nice board, with all the features I was looking for.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Actually, I asked the guy in Thailand about making a version for the UC300ETH.
    He said it's unlikely, because they made a Pokeys breakout board and he's not selling any.
    I think it's partly because:
    1) Nobody has heard of CNC Room.
    2) There aren't that many Pokeys users.

Making such boards without consulting and involving the original manufacturer will always lead to no sales. They made it for the previous version and then Pokeys released the CNC version, of course they will not sale. Apart from that if the manufacturer wants to sink them he can always release a new firmware with some different functions of pins. And thats it.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

I think CNC Drive, like CNC Room, are afraid of spending all the time developing a quality board, and finding out that they don't sell any.
    But if you build a quality product, and let people know about it, you'll sell a lot of them.
    Quality product that works and well supported will always sell them selfs. If they provided board with the No Frill features this one does and at sensible price then I can't see how they won't sell and cause lot of other manufactures lots to think about.
    IMO between there software and Hardware Combo they could wipe out few manufactures like Warp9 and seriously give Artsoft problems, if not wipe them out in the Hobby department. (Which lets face it Brian is doing Job of Himself.!!)
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 11-12-2016 at 06:50 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information