. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi All

I will be using an Ethernet connected controller, (the UC300eth-5ltp*or the UC400eth*from CNC Drive http://www.shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?categoryID=114. Both have a large number of I/O (36/49 & 24/10 respectively) and using the UCCNC control software.
    Initial setup would be for a gantry router configuration (2 motors slaved together on the Y axis), a spindle & vfd, a wireless MPG, Up to 8 Limit/home proximity sensors, E-Stop and an auto tool height setter.

Looking at the generally available breakout boards (€20 - €60 range), they have the following I/O
    ¥ 5 x inputs
    ¥ 4 x outputs
    ¥ 4 or 5 x stepper drive connections.
    Both the UC300eth & UC400eth have a lot more I/O which will not be able to be used!

Now my questions

What are my options for making this configuration expandable beyond the initial I/O capability of the std parallel port breakout board?

Do I need to look at dual port products like the PMDX-126, the C62 - Dual Port Modular CNC Breakout Board & the C32 Dual Port Modular CNC Breakout Board?

Are the I/O used on the standard parallel port for stepper drive connections, (pins 1 through 12)http://www.cncroutersource.com/cnc-breakout-board.html able to be reused for another purpose?

Can I use two of the std parallel port breakout boards in my electronic configuration (assuming ping 1 through 12 can be repurposed)?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Regards

Copied from my CNC Zone reply.

A couple of C10 breakout boards give you a lot of flexibility, as the pins can be configured for both input and outputs.

Or, an M44 motherboard, which has a variety of accessory boards with different functionality.
    Note that the M44 will soon be replaced by an M45 board, so I wouldn't buy one at this time.

There's also the 5441 board from Hungary:
    https://www.cncpart.hu/uc300-5441
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

I suspect that you have not quite understood the way the set of 5 ports works on the UC300/400. You can plug a BOB into port 1, and that gives you access to the various I/O pins 1-25. You can plug a second BOB into port 2, and that gives you access to I/O pins 1-25 - but this time they are labelled Port 2/Pin 1, for example. Similarly, you can plug BOBs into ports 3-5 for additional I/O. Port 1/pin 1, Port 2 pin 1, Port 3/pin 1, etc, are all different connections and that is how you get access to the enormous number of I/O pins. You don't need to reuse the step/dir pins. I know that the UC300ETH manual is slightly ambiguous about the analogue port, but if you look at the UC300USB manual which has the same output port configuration, the description is better. It might be worth reading both manuals for descriptions of the digital I/O ports and pins as well but I haven't read those parts of the manuals myself. I'm sure that the ETH manual version will be corrected in a later version.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

If you run the UCCNC software in demo mode, and select the UC300ETH-5LPT, the diagnostics page shows you which pins can be used for inputs and outputs.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I suspect that you have not quite understood the way the set of 5 ports works on the UC300/400. You can plug a BOB into port 1, and that gives you access to the various I/O pins 1-25. You can plug a second BOB into port 2, and that gives you access to I/O pins 1-25 - but this time they are labelled Port 2/Pin 1, for example. Similarly, you can plug BOBs into ports 3-5 for additional I/O. Port 1/pin 1, Port 2 pin 1, Port 3/pin 1, etc, are all different connections and that is how you get access to the enormous number of I/O pins.
    This was true for me Neale so thanks for making it clear.
    .Me

Like pulling bloody teeth isn't it ?

So where is the missing link that tells you what pins to connect what to because I'm sure it's not that simple that you can connect to whatever you want ?
    John S -

I assume if you're using it with Mach3, you use the usual ports-and-pins mapping page. Don't know about UCCNC as I've never seen it. Guess that there's an equivalent set-up screen?

Trouble is, put all the detail in the manual and you confuse people. Don't put in every last detail and someone will bitch. Best bet is probably put in enough for someone intelligent and knowledgeable, and kick off with something like, "if you don't understand this, ask yourself if you should be doing it by yourself. Why not ask someone who does know what they're doing?" Actually, that's probably where this forum kicks in!

It's not that complicated.
    The software is free to try, download it and install it.

The choice of motherboard determines which pins can be used for inputs and outputs.

With the 5LPT motherboard from CNC Drive, ports 2 and 3 are the same pinouts as standard parallel ports. (1-9, 14, 16, 17 Outputs ----- 10-13, 15 Inputs)
    Ports 1,4, and 5 use pins 2-9 as inputs. (1, 14, 16, 17 Outputs------2-13, 15 Inputs)

It's just like using a parallel port, except that you have 5 of them.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ger21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by neale View Post
    actually, that's probably where this forum kicks in!
    I love you !

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    It's just like using a parallel port, except that you have 5 of them.
    Cheers Gerry we would be lost without you...off to read your PM now !
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 14-11-2016 at 12:52 AM.
    .Me

Here's the diagnostic page showing the pinout, and some setup pages.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5LPT-1.jpg 
Views:	626 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	19610

Name:	5LPT-2.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	19611

Name:	5LPT-3.jpg