Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11
    JAZZCNC's Avatar
    Lives in wakefield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 23 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 5,792. Received thanks 900 times, giving thanks to others 36 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackpat View Post
    Thanks mate, i've got an electrician friend coming round shortly to have a look. The new atx is 350 watt and the old is 200w, will this be okay? My tech said the ones they supply are 500's
    Would imagine 500W is allowing for decent amount of spare overhead. 200W does sound low and probably why it's gone tits up, It's Been working flat out to keep up.
    So 350W should be ok and will certainly get you working again if that is indeed the problem.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jackpat View Post
    Ok, so i checked the voltages today... on 5v we are getting about 1.5, and on 12v we are getting about 3.5! a tech suggested i get an atx power supply to try, so ive just been and got one from maplins. Is there anything i need to make sure i do/ dont do so i dont toast anything else?
    So the company technician who diagnosed a 7k board fault needs a little more training perhaps?
    ;-)
    I hope a PSU gets this running for you!
    Regards,
    - Nick
    If you will not be swayed by logic or experience simply pick the idea you
    like best, but ask yourself why you sought advice in the first place and,
    for a simple life, perhaps consider not doing so in future

  3. #13
    I advise you not to play with the main board, the way you are playing with 100$ breakout board. This taking it out and bringing to a guy... If you dont know what are you doing better dont touch it. I know people that have f%%%d things just by touching them not in the proper way. if you dont know how to handle sensitive equipment especially true. I have sold 1000$ board perfectly working here, luckily confirmed with video, which guys f^^^d up on the other side by not knowing how to handle it.

    So i am starting to have a headache from what you say. At least make sure yo have discharged static from yourself and transport it in a anti static envelope / any pc repair shop will have that from GPU or similar . One other thing particularly disastrous for boards is to try to measure them while connected and touch sth that you should have not touched and especially disconnect sth when board is powered on.

    You need electronic engineer or similar, not electrician! Apart from that you have to explain him exactly how the board is supposed to function so he understands where the problem could be.

    You have to be very lucky if its only the PSU after yo handled it. I dont see how you will repair the board if it has ICs that are custom programmed in factory.

    On other side everything can be repaired, luckily this machine is quite old, maybe repair will not be more than cheap element so just start finding an industrial repair solution for this board!

    The most important thing is to analyse with cool head if that board has just simple elements or it has an element that could be preprogrammed with software. My local guy for example have repaired me a VFDs for which i was quoted into the hundreds just to look at it and here it cost me 15 euro.


    https://en.industryarena.com/forum/c...r--210268.html

    http://www.acsindustrial.com/mfrs/haas.php

    http://www.industrialrepair.net/products.aspx?mpid=156
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    I advise you not to play with the main board, the way you are playing with 100$ breakout board. This taking it out and bringing to a guy... If you dont know what are you doing better dont touch it. I know people that have f%%%d things just by touching them not in the proper way. if you dont know how to handle sensitive equipment especially true. I have sold 1000$ board perfectly working here, luckily confirmed with video, which guys f^^^d up on the other side by not knowing how to handle it.

    So i am starting to have a headache from what you say. At least make sure yo have discharged static from yourself and transport it in a anti static envelope / any pc repair shop will have that from GPU or similar . One other thing particularly disastrous for boards is to try to measure them while connected and touch sth that you should have not touched and especially disconnect sth when board is powered on.

    You need electronic engineer or similar, not electrician! Apart from that you have to explain him exactly how the board is supposed to function so he understands where the problem could be.

    You have to be very lucky if its only the PSU after yo handled it. I dont see how you will repair the board if it has ICs that are custom programmed in factory.

    On other side everything can be repaired, luckily this machine is quite old, maybe repair will not be more than cheap element so just start finding an industrial repair solution for this board!

    The most important thing is to analyse with cool head if that board has just simple elements or it has an element that could be preprogrammed with software. My local guy for example have repaired me a VFDs for which i was quoted into the hundreds just to look at it and here it cost me 15 euro.


    https://en.industryarena.com/forum/c...r--210268.html

    http://www.acsindustrial.com/mfrs/haas.php

    http://www.industrialrepair.net/products.aspx?mpid=156
    Thanks for such a detailed reply, i'll admit i have no experience with processor boards... the company i took it to however is a very experienced repair shop - they deal with this sort of thing all the time and have repaired servo drive cards, I/O boards and distribution boards for us before. As for the processor board - - i guess we'll find out if i've damaged it once we fix the low voltage problem!

    My "electrician" is an electrical engineer, also dealing with similar machines all the time - - he's a good friend of ours and lives just across the road from the workshop.

    SO.. Last night we double checked that it was the actual psu that was dropping voltage, THEN started joining the HAAS wiring harness to the new atx psu... plugged it in to check we were getting 5v and it wouldn't work! It's just a bog standard 240V atx (machines is a 110v, but its all we could get from maplin). We didnt check the atx before hand, but all we had done was snip wires on a single plug and crimp connectors on. Plugged it into a wall socket not into actual machine.

    So i guess ill try find a replacement today.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    The most important thing is to
    .......Approach the problem logically, if there are no blown components or tracks on the board and you have proven the PSU is not delivering the correct voltages then replacing the PSU is an entirely logical next step.

    An ATX PSU doesn't just deliver all the correct voltages all the time though, it has some permanent outputs but requires a logic signal back from the board to which it connects to tell it to power up fully. If the new PSU doesn't "Fire up the Quattro" then you should check to see if the board is providing the required signal telling it to turn on,
    Regards,
    Nick
    If you will not be swayed by logic or experience simply pick the idea you
    like best, but ask yourself why you sought advice in the first place and,
    for a simple life, perhaps consider not doing so in future

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    .......Approach the problem logically, if there are no blown components or tracks on the board and you have proven the PSU is not delivering the correct voltages then replacing the PSU is an entirely logical next step.

    An ATX PSU doesn't just deliver all the correct voltages all the time though, it has some permanent outputs but requires a logic signal back from the board to which it connects to tell it to power up fully. If the new PSU doesn't "Fire up the Quattro" then you should check to see if the board is providing the required signal telling it to turn on,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Right, so the atx needs to be plugged in to the machine to power up? We were getting power down the 240v cable and to the on/ off switch but no voltage out of the cables & the fan wasnt coming on. ++ if thats the case how do i make sure we've wired up the cable correctly!
    Last edited by jackpat; 17-11-2016 at 10:43 AM.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by jackpat View Post
    Right, so the atx needs to be plugged in to the machine to power up? We were getting power down the 240v cable and to the on/ off switch but no voltage out of the cables & the fan wasnt coming on. ++ if thats the case how do i make sure we've wired up the cable correctly!
    See this http://support.antec.com/support/sol...paperclip-test.

    An Atx supply won't turn on without you shorting the signal wire to ground.
    Last edited by Clive S; 17-11-2016 at 10:53 AM.
    ..Clive

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    You need electronic engineer or similar, not electrician!
    What you actually need is someone with the right experience, current job titles may not be clearly indicative of this :-)

    - Nick
    If you will not be swayed by logic or experience simply pick the idea you
    like best, but ask yourself why you sought advice in the first place and,
    for a simple life, perhaps consider not doing so in future

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    What you actually need is someone with the right experience, current job titles may not be clearly indicative of this :-)

    - Nick
    As stated, he is an electrical engineer, not an electrician... excuse my phrasing. Shorted the two pins and i have power to the fan, so will i be able to check if im getting +5 +12 and -12 with the short before i plug the psu back into the machine?

    Ta,

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by jackpat View Post
    Shorted the two pins and i have power to the fan, so will i be able to check if im getting +5 +12 and -12 with the short before i plug the psu back into the machine?

    Ta,
    Yes,_check_the_PSU_output_with_the_pins_shorted_th en_remove_shorting_pin,_disconnect_mains_and_conne ct._Then_test.

    Damn this reply box behaviour, now it's recognising spaces but if I insert them higher up the reply it parses them as line feeds and initially ignored them entirely!

    - Nick
    If you will not be swayed by logic or experience simply pick the idea you
    like best, but ask yourself why you sought advice in the first place and,
    for a simple life, perhaps consider not doing so in future

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Haas Hl2 lathe assitance S70 area
    By MAW in forum Lathes, Lathe Rebuilding & Conversions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2016, 08:09 AM
  2. Haas mini mill spindle ramp up time
    By Hellfire in forum Machine Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-05-2016, 10:33 AM
  3. Haas vf-0e 1995
    By jackpat in forum Machine Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-05-2016, 11:18 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •