. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hi, im building a cnc plasma table, its constructed from 80x80x6 box section, with 80x80xx6 angle running along side the y axis to support the linier rails.....

im using rack gear system to drive it.....

Can i tig the rack onto the angle rather than drill and tapping? also, i want the x gantry to be able to extend outside the table so i can cut large diamiter pipe.i was thinking of using a piece of link pallet racking to make the gantry,it being light and strong
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0185.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	19639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0183.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	289.1 KB 
ID:	19640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0184.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	252.0 KB 
ID:	19641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0186.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	19642  

Looking at the pictures of what you've built so far, I think you probably already know the answer to the "welding rack to frame" question?

Surly the rack is far to precious to weld it in place?
    What about distortion from the heat build up?
    Would the tempering of the steel be effected from welding it in place?

Will you need any adjustment/wiggle room from the rack, when it comes to truing everything up and final assembly ?

Not sure I would risk it myself and just bolt, shouldn't take that much longer.

Nice work so far by the way, it's looking good, start a build log!
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 17-11-2016 at 09:46 PM.
    .Me

Lazy bugger get the drill out. . Lol . . . . I've recently done exactly same thing on Router but used Nut bolts didn't tap and didn't take that long really. (My rack was pre drilled thou)

Tig will work but for the little extra work I'd be inclined to Drill.

On another note I noticed in another thread you mentioned no CNC experience. Let me warn you now that Plasma requires that your electrical side is done correctly otherwise you'll have nothing but issues from electrical noise coming from the plasma.
    The mechanical side is fairly simple and relatively light weight so don't need massive power or build but the electrical side needs to be Rock solid.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Lazy bugger get the drill out. . Lol . . . . I've recently done exactly same thing on Router but used Nut bolts didn't tap and didn't take that long really. (My rack was pre drilled thou)

Tig will work but for the little extra work I'd be inclined to Drill.

On another note I noticed in another thread you mentioned no CNC experience. Let me warn you now that Plasma requires that your electrical side is done correctly otherwise you'll have nothing but issues from electrical noise coming from the plasma.
    The mechanical side is fairly simple and relatively light weight so don't need massive power or build but the electrical side needs to be Rock solid.
    i thought id cut a few corners previously and bought a project cnc plasma off a well known auction site..iv junked it all apart from the longest linier rails which im going to use for my x axis on this one.....im using 4nm nema 23's...Stepper Motor Driver 6.0A, 80V CNC Microstepping CW8060 .....Breakout board CP0-10V CNC 4 Axis with Charge Pump and Relay ....600W PSU 48V 12A CNC Power Supply Stepper Motor Milling ........EMI Panel Mount IEC Filter 10A ......UC100 USB Motion Controller ...and a thc 150 proma elektron
    ....iv got some help off someone local to me for the wiring and setting up.....iv built the ttable as heavy as possible but id like the gantry to be light and as rigid as possible

USB could be problem.? It's flakey and not very good with noise. If you can afford it then I would look at controller with Ethernet.

Cslabs Ip-m is excellent industrial strength controller with 24V I/O which is very noise immune. It can also be used for THC.
    It does allow slaved motors with one slight draw back that it only homes to one switch for slaved axis but for Plasma machine this isn't really big deal.

I fit these all the time and tell you 100% confidence nothing comes close to it for reliabilty and noise immunity. It's the Only controller I've used that will allow me to weld with TIG next to machine and not stop it.! . . . . I've used most controllers and none have been able to handle Tig at close range or on same Ring.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

the machine is getting built so another controller at the end i will run to if it makes it work reliably, iv ordered and had delivered 16mm supported linear rails 3200mm..iv unpacked them tonight and the look really weedy...i was thinking of using a piece of 80x80 box to make the gantry or a piece of link pallet racking (doesnt seem such a great idea now)...whats the best way to construct a light weight gantry? i have linear rails and 2m of r&p...im worried that the y axis rails arnt going to stand the weight and forces??

i want the gantry to pertrude past the y axis outside the table and be able to run an ingraver...im not ever planning on doing any milling on this machine...iv got alot riding on this plasma working and working well,any help will be very greatfully receaved

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    i want the gantry to pertrude past the y axis outside the table and be able to run an ingraver.
    Not sure that this will be a good idea. How are you going to implement it?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

16mm supported rails will handle 80mm box section easily so wouldn't be bothered there.

Dump the link pallet idea as it will only cause you grief. No point spoiling machine for little extra piece of box section costs.
    80mm or 100mm box with with few well placed braces will be fine for plasma machine.
    Regards the overhang then if you talking about using for Rotary type axis hanging off the side then yes no problem.

But if your talking about actually engraving on separate table kind of thing then I'd say don't waste your time and just build another machine because engraver and plasma are two very different animals.
    Engraving machine needs to be far stiffer and accurate to work well and R&P just isn't going to cut if any real fine engraving type work is to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Not sure that this will be a good idea. How are you going to implement it?
    hi clive, i'll be extending the gantry outpast the side of the machine so i can carve gas cylindersClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0191.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	19644

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    16mm supported rails will handle 80mm box section easily so wouldn't be bothered there.

Dump the link pallet idea as it will only cause you grief. No point spoiling machine for little extra piece of box section costs.
    80mm or 100mm box with with few well placed braces will be fine for plasma machine.
    Regards the overhang then if you talking about using for Rotary type axis hanging off the side then yes no problem.

But if your talking about actually engraving on separate table kind of thing then I'd say don't waste your time and just build another machine because engraver and plasma are two very different animals.
    Engraving machine needs to be far stiffer and accurate to work well and R&P just isn't going to cut if any real fine engraving type work is to be done.
    i'd like to be able to cut gas cylinder up,so i thought a couple of pillow block bearing supporting a shaft and then geared down so i can drive it with a stepper motor (in very simple terms).........you say 80x80 or 100x100 box will be ok..do you mean mild steel box or alloy? im more comfortable working in steel ..the link pallet racking idea was just because i had a pallet of the stuff knocking around BUT as youve said it will just devalue the integrety of the machine ...many thanks....

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    i'll be extending the gantry outpast the side of the machine so i can carve gas cylinders
    Just for clarity do you mean carve or cut with plasma by rotating the cylinder?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information