. .
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    Looks really good. What is your plan for tensioning your pinion gear into your gear rack?
    hi, im going to use spring to hold the pinion against the rack,im using stainless steel to make the bush to pivot the reduction box (scrap prop shaft from a boat).........

managed a few hours today,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0259.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	20012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0260.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	20013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0261.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	20014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0262.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	20015
    for the (hopefully)final assembly iv drilled the shaft for the grub screws to bite into and for the pinion gear iv sweated the gear onto the shaft and used a roll pin,which im sure is very stable and wont come loose but now if i have a bearing faiure im going to have to pull the shaft back through the 60t gear and the other bearing,so im not sure iv gone the right way...

iv had a few hours spare so iv finished the slats for the table....iv used 80x3 flat...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0265.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	298.8 KB 
ID:	20047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0267(1).jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	263.8 KB 
ID:	20048

looking very nice.
    Have you thought of making a scraper/cleaner for the supported rails carriage?
    In the past I have used pot scrubbers ( cheap scotch-brite nock-offs)
    the flat ones .. Like these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAv-pKD0Eug
    profile to suit the rail section.. Green side out. sandwich between to alu plates.
    I soak them in sewing machine oil prior to installation

Paul

hi paul,
    iv been thinking about some sort of scraper/gaurd for the linear rails..im ging to put an hour meter on the table so i can get an idea of how long parts last and cost of running.then i can work out if the for instance if the 16mm bearings will last a year and cost x amount and then they become a consumable? Or if its just a bad design and i'll need to rejig it....is plasma dust evil stuff?

Lives in dublin, Ireland. Last Activity: 18-12-2023 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 23. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Just wanted to say, I've enjoyed reading this thread, I'm trying to learn as much as i can, so your lots of pics approach is great.

Quote Originally Posted by ned View Post
    Just wanted to say, I've enjoyed reading this thread, I'm trying to learn as much as i can, so your lots of pics approach is great.
    thanks for your kind words..i'm back on the cnc today...pics to follow

Lives in dublin, Ireland. Last Activity: 18-12-2023 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 23. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    cool, following with interest.

Can I ask you, if you were to guesstimate, how much you reckon the build is going to cost you?

Speaking in euros, to buy an 8x4 table seems to be around 11 - 12 thousand, so maybe 9 - 10 thousand GBP.

At the moment I'm trying to familiarise myself with the different mechanical parts of the machine, I'll concentrate on that first and when I've that built, I'll scratch my head and think about the next hurdle, the electronics and software.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    At the moment I'm trying to familiarise myself with the different mechanical parts of the machine, I'll concentrate on that first and when I've that built, I'll scratch my head and think about the next hurdle, the electronics and software.
    Welcome to the forum Ned. The two are sort of related but when you are ready start a build log and try and get some cad drawings up then ask away.
    Also keep away from kits of electronics as they are never matched.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Cheers Clive, appreciate the welcome.

I cant use CAD. I will have to learn. I'm pretty handy with photshop though, so I can illustrate well enough to explain what I mean, hopefully that will do till I learn. Oh its all in front of me... )

ill bow out of this thread so as not to distract, regards all.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information