. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    So, I have a project that I’m doing with my uncle but it’s not cnc’s / lathes or 3Dp’s related and just some fun hopefully.
    I think I know what I’m doing but could do with a eye casting over my idea. Also, I’m crap at electric needs and usage.
    I have 3 Nema 17’s 45’s from a small project that never got started ages ago.
    So basically, I need all 3 to rotate in the same direction at the same RPM. Don’t need bidirectional but need to keep the RPM under 110'ish (variable). No precision needed, torques not a huge factor, but it could be running several hours at a time.
    I was thinking of a just a motor speed controller that can supply the voltage and amps with a suitable pot. That’s where I’m struggling to work out what I need or if indeed it will work.
    Any thoughts?

Manufacturer Part Number 17HS16-2004S1
    Step Angle 1.8°
    Step Accuracy 5%
    Holding Torque 45Ncm(63.7oz.in)
    Rated Current/phase 2A
    Phase Resistance 1.1ohms
    Voltage 2.2V
    Inductance 2.6mH±20%(1KHz)
    Weight 300g

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dunno if this unit Jonathan is working on maybe of use: Build Log: Servo Drive and VFD with vector control

I'm sure I read a discussion where he was able to put custom firmware on it for someone, could be wrong.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 19-11-2016 at 06:37 PM.
    .Me

Would 3 of these be the sort of thing you are looking for ? You might only need 1 if the motors are all at the same speed.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stepper-mo...YAAOSwIgNXlrJf

You would still need some cheap drivers and a power supply though.

Rob
    Last edited by cropwell; 19-11-2016 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Would 3 of these be the sort of thing you are looking for ? You might only need 1 if the motors are all at the same speed.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stepper-mo...YAAOSwIgNXlrJf

You would still need some cheap drivers and a power supply though.

Rob
    Yeah Rob that's what I was thinking, but I don't know if I can run all three off a single 3A supply or I'll need separate ones per motor. I'll post results as soon as I have a test ready.
    I mean what could possible go wrong ?? lol :)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It'll depend on how well matched the motors are, and how much load each one is under.
    If they're all identical motors with similar load (and/or a good safety margin), then it shouldn't be a problem. All you can do is try it, as the worst that's likely to happen is motors stall, or one heats up.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Is your question about whether a single 3A supply would be enough? If you are not looking for much torque from the motors, then most drivers will have a "max motor current" setting which you could wind down to, say, 1A. I'm assuming single power supply/multiple drivers here, of course. Problem is greater if you are using a switch-mode power supply as these often have a "hard" current limit at their max rating so can effectively switch off just when you need most current at peak load. Old-fashioned linear power supplies are much more forgiving of peak loads. Or wind down max motor current a bit more, or use a bigger or multiple power supplies.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Neale, my understanding is fivetide wants the 3 motors to run from a single driver..
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Neale, my understanding is fivetide wants the 3 motors to run from a single driver..
    That's true .. I would like to manually vary the speed of all three motors simultaneously. Toque maybe a factor in the future
    There are 40A versions of the Motor controllers for not much money. My understanding of power supply is limited, if I attach 3 motors that draw 2A's each onto a 40A supply will the motors only draw 2A's of the 40 or will the power supply push 13A's to each motor.. ?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    That's true .. I would like to manually vary the speed of all three motors simultaneously. Toque maybe a factor in the future
    There are 40A versions of the Motor controllers for not much money. My understanding of power supply is limited, if I attach 3 motors that draw 2A's each onto a 40A supply will the motors only draw 2A's of the 40 or will the power supply push 13A's to each motor.. ?
    The motors will only take what they want so IF the motor need to draw 2A each then it would be 6A total but I very much doubt they they will draw 2A each as you have said they will be operated at very low torque
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    The motors will only take what they want so IF the motor need to draw 2A each then it would be 6A total but I very much doubt they they will draw 2A each as you have said they will be operated at very low torque
    Thats what I needed to know ..thanks Clive :)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information