Hello.

I have been Googling for a few weeks, I'm a member of some (not so friendly) forums, and I've called a few companies. So please note that I'm not being lazy, I've done the homework but people either don't respond or try to sell me a £10k machine!

I'm looking to step up from my Roland iModela. I want (ideally) a 4 axis CNC but understand for my budget this isn't going to happen (£1,500) and so I'm happy to add that axis later. Knowing this I want advice on what machine to buy for medium sized milling of material up to aluminium. By Medium size parts I mean approx 8" wide by 4" deep by 2"+ thick.

I'm happy to buy a manual mill that's easy to convert. The mill will live in a partially heated garage, and I'll be building a basic PC to run it. I'm looking to do this as soon as possible.

I use Fusion 360 to work in, I'd be looking for advise on the best software to run the mill (Mach 3 for example).

And hey, if anyone in Kent in the UK has done this or is looking to do it I'd be happy to let you use the machine for any assistance!

I'll be producing small detailed parts for models (I have a rich back log of models from various games and films I'd like to mill) alongside larger more basic parts for my other hobby (building motorcycles).

I have already ordered a load of aluminium billet, it was a last minute ebay and too cheap to not buy. :) I need tools of course.

All advice very welcome.

Thanks.