. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I can definitely help here but have to be later tonight, off out now but soft alloy can be thru drilled without a burr on either side.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by spluppit View Post
    The right material again will save you all this nonsense you are experiencing.
    The sheet is 1050, I know it is not machineable really, but I can't find 6082 in 2mm sheet at a reasonable price. If you can recommend me a supplier who will guillotine me 20 sheets 100x150x2mm and deliver for less than £30, please let me know.

Ta.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    No I wear tights ! There are three phases to a man's life -Believing in Santa - Not believing in Santa - Being Santa.

Seriously, I have a problem with drilling a 2mm thick aluminium plate* with 400 holes 3mm dia. The damn thing comes out like a cheese grater, with the top edge of the hole having a sharp raised lip. A bit of coolant cuts down the problem, but I don't know to get rid of this edge lift or burring. The only solutions I can think of, at the moment, are to slow the drill speed down -or- to redo the process but with a 90 degree chamfer bit, drilling to an appropriate depth i.e. 2.1mm, but that is going to add to the time to do these 20 plates and I certainly ain't deburring them by hand.

Any suggestions ?

* the ali plate is probably as soft as poodle poo, I don't know what grade it is.

Cheers,

Rob

BTW Lee - if this could go in a better thread or needs to be a new topic - please shift it. Ta - R.
    Being Santa, a 7 and 10 year old - both girls....sorry!? lol

I've had the same problem, I'm actually after a countersink/chamfering bit recommendation please if anyone has got one to give.

I end up using a drill bit way bigger than the hole, just give it a quick turn by hand, works quite well on smaller holes, tried a few off ebay all seem to be crap, blunt or for wood.

Was thinking of adding a "Hand Tool" section to the forums so could split it, Metal Finishing Techniques may be a better place for your question though.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 26-11-2016 at 11:55 AM.
    .Me

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Hi Rob
    If i have to drill plate, i don't use a standard grind drill. i grind the size required flat bottom, then relieve it to leave a point in the centre(like a wood drill) this trapanes the hole and breaks through relatively clean, a bit off pecking might help.
    regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Hi Rob
    If i have to drill plate, i don't use a standard grind drill. i grind the size required flat bottom, then relieve it to leave a point in the centre(like a wood drill) this trapanes the hole and breaks through relatively clean, a bit off pecking might help.
    regards
    Mike
    I haven't got the skill or patience to do regrinding of small drills !

What I am using is a 3.05 carbide drill from this guy http://www.circuit2u.co.uk/epages/63...rill%20Bits%22 He supplies 1st regrind bits at a good price. I am pecking the hole, but am going to play around with the peck and spindle speeds to see what happens.

Cheers,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    I end up using a drill bit way bigger than the hole, just give it a quick turn by hand, works quite well on smaller holes, tried a few off ebay all seem to be crap, blunt or for wood.
    380 holes per piece ! and 20 pieces to do ! sod hand chamfering for a game of soldiers ! I'd end up screaming barmy (nearly there anyway). Here's the dxf, so you can see what I mean STUPLATEb.dxf

Cheers,

Rob

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Rob
    If you have a compressor you try a soft abrasive http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ECOSTRIP-C...K3a1K2gRapthiA i use this for cleaning Spilka hinges when doing refurb. it might remove the sharp edges.
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information