. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just killing time on youtube and this came up.!! . .WTF . . . How do we compete with places like this.!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Simple, don't eat grilled food, drink coffee and iron your clothes
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    WTF . . . How do we compete with places like this.!
    Since the end of WW2, Britain's Engineering Industry has steadily declined. Due to the diversion of production into the war effort, most of the machines were worn out and there was little money to replace them, also a shareholder system meant that money was going into dividends and not being put back into the renewal of industry. Furthermore, in the late '50's through to the '70's, the Unions were in control of the labour force and wages rose. If they didn't, strikes and other work stoppages affected production and costs adversely. So prices went too high on the global market and our industry declined even more.

I worked for Jaguar Cars and Wickman Machine Tools in the 60's, so I saw the shenanigans of the work force and unions.

Then along came Maggie and broke the unions, ended open ballots and brought a form of democracy to the unions. By then industrially we were f***ed. (I have mixed feelings about Mrs T!)

China on the other hand was a communist system. No strikes and no shareholders to bleed the cash. We see how life was controlled, regulated and restricted. Wages and standards of living were kept low by oppression, so China had cheap goods to export to flood the world and swamp other countries industry.

Would you want to be a Chinese worker ?.....................................

I thought not.

We can't compete, we have to use our resources and skills to invent and develop new technology and hope we can get enough out of it before the Chinese start copying it.

This country is declining and Brexit certainly won't help. I am too old to be concerned for my future, but I am saddened to think what my grandchildren will encounter.

Rob
    Last edited by cropwell; 21-11-2016 at 12:54 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Simple, don't eat grilled food, drink coffee and iron your clothes
    Last time used Iron was to Wax my Snow board and it will coming out again soon I hope. .

Out of the top 10 video games last year , 9 where produced by UK based company's.
    We are basically the brains of the world, in my opinion anyway, and R&D workshop.

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

How do we compete with places like this.!
    Elect Trump to lead your country. He's bringing all of those jobs back to the US.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,725. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    Elect Trump to lead your country. He's bringing all of those jobs back to the US.
    Ah, yes, the man who is going to make America grate! Not quite sure if that means turn it into a fireplace, get on everybody's nerves, or just make a lot of squeaking sounds in the background that everyone learns to ignore. Or did I misread the slogan?

(Sorry, Gerry, to throw stones when it's you who is going to have to live with him)

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    I'm skeptical I wont deny it but, at least give him a chance, who knows ?? I mean stranger things have happened :)

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Couple of month ago i was @ a mate's and noticed a Wacker plate in the corner of his garage, he said it didn't work but if i fixed it i had unconditional use, had a play and ended up shearing the mixture screw so went surfing. silly money from UK suppliers but got a brand new carb off Bangood £3.99 and that included the postage from China, it seems doubtfull that they could be making any profit on that WTF
    Regards
    Mike

Makes you wonder if they are just conditioning us like chickens to be totally dependant on them to the point we have no industry left then just pull the Chicken feed one day so become Kentucky Fired.!!! . . . . . They better be quick before Trump and Putin beat them to it. .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information